Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What intake Manifold Worked 304 v8?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This argument that it's more complex is utter nonsense. If you have an engine on the dyno and all you change is intake runner length the torque curve will be affected. The thing is the affect will always be more low down torque for long runners and higher power for short runners.

If you understand how we get to a power figure from a torque reading and why the crossover is 5250rpm you will understand why you get this higher power peak with short runners in the top end. It's because the torque curve gets shifted.

Go watch Richard Holdners videos he's been running dyno tests for 25 years and has forgotten more than you know.

That's all well and true but it still does not change the fact that you said the SP manifold only works over 6000rpm when I have posted dyno graphs what refutes that point.

The power curve is based on runner length and nothing else. short single plane runners dont gain anything untill 6500+ and thats a fact

Single planes perfom better above 6000-6500rpm so when you install one it is recomended that you use a cam from 4000-8000rpm range to utilize the gains of the manifold and visa versa.
Dual planes have more power everywhere on the dyno graph up untill 6000-6500rpm so like in the OP's case if you have a cam that drops off at 6200rpm you're just throwing horse power away using a single plane.
Can I be more clear about this?

No I did not say that. I said up to about 6000-6500 there is no benifit of using a single plane over a dual plane.

Unless someone is fiddling figures at micron the longer runners of the dual plane will make more average torque up untill 6000rpm.

If you don't like the facts that is fine but stop making blanket statements which are categorically not true as is clearly demonstrated by the dyno graphs I posted above which were posted online by TK383 and testing done by TP and Micron engineering who are arguably some of the best guys around with Holden V8 motors.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That's all well and true but it still does not change the fact that you said the SP manifold only works over 6000rpm when I have posted dyno graphs what refutes that point.

If you don't like the facts that is fine but stop making blanket statements which are categorically not true as is clearly demonstrated by the dyno graphs I posted above which were posted online by TK383 and testing done by TP and Micron engineering who are arguably some of the best guys around with Holden V8 motors.
The graphs you posted did not prove this and they're barely readable then you provide a peak figure from a Torque Power single plane all at the same time Tony him self states that for an engine with a mild cam the dual plane would be the better choice.

I've debunked your information and yet you have not debunked any info from Richard Holdner. Richards tests and information is clear and consise.
I guarantee you that Micron, TK and Craig from TP would all agree with Richard Holdner. Yet here we are someone is trying to state that longer runners don't improve low end toeque over short runners. If this was the case don't you think every Kia, Mazda, Citron, VW ect would have the shortest possible runner???? Why do so many OE engineers waste so much time and effort to make variable intakes that lengthen runners at low engine speed then shorten them at high engine speeds??????

Obviously I could give you many soruces of info but you'll keep brining up your info that I debunked and not listen..

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe it's time you get some glasses and take a look those dyno graphs properly. Yes they aren't the best quality but that doesn't change what they show. If you don't like what they show then that is to bad for you. I did not post those numbers, TK and TP/Micron posted those numbers as they are printed on the dyno sheets.

I have not said that altering the intake runner length does not change the torque/power curve, what I have said (and please read this very carefully) is that your blanket statement that single plane manifolds don't work under 6000rpm is categorically wrong.

It really is funny actually. You keep posting dyno tests from big cube modern V8's from the US but now suddenly you start talking about variable intake Jap and Euro motors. You really need to make up your mind because the OP has a Holden Donk.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe it's time you get some glasses and take a look those dyno graphs properly. Yes they aren't the best quality but that doesn't change what they show. If you don't like what they show then that is to bad for you. I did not post those numbers, TK and TP/Micron posted those numbers as they are printed on the dyno sheets.

I have not said that altering the intake runner length does not change the torque/power curve, what I have said (and please read this very carefully) is that your blanket statement that single plane manifolds don't work under 6000rpm is categorically wrong.

It really is funny actually. You keep posting dyno tests from big cube modern V8's from the US but now suddenly you start talking about variable intake Jap and Euro motors. You really need to make up your mind because the OP has a Holden Donk.
If you actualy watch Richards videos you'll realise he's tested 90% of engines out there in the performance world he even broke a land speed record with a honda 4cyl.

Again you bring up these graphs that only show the TP dual plane vs a perfomer and torker manifold. And of course my statement is a blanket one because you have to do that to make a comparison ffs. I could've said 5000rpm what difference does it make? I'm stating a comparison.
And in that info you posted why does TK state the TP dual plane will be better suited to small cams? you still haven't repsonded to this????
The OP has a small cam........

Ash 5l vt commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Sorry i should of stated what im going to do with it, i was intending to use it as a weekender and would like to use it on the strip, i have a t56 to bolt to the motor i havent got a diff ratio in mind yet? Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
What is driveline setup? Details of car?

You said cam bloke recommended short runner SP over DP but you're going DP but want double pumper?????????

Helps to give as much info on your setup if you want good advice back.

If car is manual + tall gears or stock/baby stall auto a double pumper won't be responsive...generally it's ok to go smaller carb on street car as not aiming for peak power but torque & responsiveness.

Again the holden 5 litre is not perfectly designed or expected to react like an ls,chev,mopar which has bigger market,tons of research & aftermarket support.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Again you bring up these graphs that only show the TP dual plane vs a perfomer and torker manifold. And of course my statement is a blanket one because you have to do that to make a comparison ffs. I could've said 5000rpm what difference does it make? I'm stating a comparison.
And in that info you posted why does TK state the TP dual plane will be better suited to small cams? you still haven't repsonded to this????
The OP has a small cam........

The 3rd dyno print out is TP single Vs Torker. Clearly you need to get your eyes checked.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry i should of stated what im going to do with it, i was intending to use it as a weekender and would like to use it on the strip, i have a t56 to bolt to the motor i havent got a diff ratio in mind yet? Thanks

If you have a Holden T56 with the 2.66:1 first gear and 0.5:1 OD 6th gear you really need 3.9's or 4.11's. Personally I'd go 4.11's

For a cruiser I would go with a DP manifold and Vac secondary carb if road manners are a primary concern. If fun is more important than traffic manners a SP manifold might be better but to get a decent one you are going to have trouble getting it under a stock HQ bonnet so then rather than a poor quality SP manifold a higher quality DP manifold might just be the go. The stock HQ bonnet is a real restriction when you see how low it is.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
shortest gearing you can go for driving you like to do & vacuum secondary carb with tp dp you want so it's responsive...feel like it's faster than it actually is.Small downside slower timeslip & peak power pfft.

Issue with under bonnet single planes is they need hours on the grinder to flow more evenly when really want to chase hp/torque & can't use spacers for more volume either but still good results from come single,redline works better with a few hours work...last place no name brand suits stockers or dudes who like to punish themselves lol.

Uneven length runners/volume & no straight shot to valves seems to be main arguments against dualies...either can & has been be made to work on 'iron lion' with right choice of parts.

not true unless it's on youtube