Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is a 14C supercharger?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I didn't think an Eco was a straight swap with a Buick.

Bolts in exactly the same, VN-VS V6 k-frames are exactly the same. Could run it on a Buick ECU with the right memcal, but you'd be better off just running VS running gear without VATS.

Found info on the Toyota SC and it will cause more problems than its worth it would seem. Plus they tend to detonate if you try and get any decent boost.

Will largely be down to good tuning. I think this conversion never really worked well because most of the people who did it were always trying to do it as cheaply as possible, so nobody ever got it tuned properly (I'm guessing a lot of them ran it on the stock tune which might explain the pinging) or never looked at changing injectors or spark plugs and just generally tried to cut corners to reduce cost wherever possible. The original CRS kit would have only included brackets and piping, maybe the supercharger, but no tuning or other parts included in the kit.

For the cost though L67 is still heads and shoulders above. The SC14 would run out of puff on an engine that size.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure i could even source an SC engine in Tas. I wasn't able to find a good cond Buick at either of the two wreckers that stock Commodores locally. Plus it would cost me 600 to have it fitted,
I'd really rather stick with the running gear i have as i know its all in good condition.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I spent 100s on my engine and trans to let it go to waste. Engine has new chain and gear, big ends and mains. All new gaskets and seals, so no leaks. Trans is solid with boost valve, servo, VB upgrade, and stally. Not sure if early 94 trans can be used with later PCM. My Pacies won't fit nor will the exhaust I don't think. Cost wise I'd have no change from $3k.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Did you know that if you went l67 you can still your auto,wiring harness & retuning vr ecu so that it's mafless....mix 'n' match the best factory parts to l67 engine as it will all bolt up...just a matter of taking the time to collect the correct parts then getting it tuned.

L67 swap been done by heaps of people or turbo the buick...those are next bang for buck choices when n/a v6 no longer cuts the mustard

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
L67 swap is too expensive in Tas unless you can find a cheap donor. Only chances of finding an engine at the wreckers is pretty slim. There are only three wreckers in the state that have any pre VE Commis. One i know for sure has no SCs the other two charge like wounded bulls, and one is 2.5hrs away both would ask $1000 for a complete SC engine. I'm struggling to find any reasonable price turbo kits. Raptor SC would be nice but close to $5k.
At this stage I'm not looking to boost anyway. I was more interested to learn about the SC14, which turns out is a POS.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Losh you get too anxious then talk yourself out of it almost as quick...relax,make a plan,stick to it then slowly over time collect parts as they pop & only as spare coin allows.

If nothing good pops up or too expensive something will eventually line up.

Remember this is a hobby!!!!!!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A year or two ago you could buy a 304 VS ute for under $3.5k if you looked around. Engine swaps when there is a lack of available reasonably priced parts only works if you can source a cheap donor. Not sure exactly how rare a L67 would be but given the shortage of Buicks, there being none within 200km of Launceston I suspect a SC engine would too be fairly scarce. I could have sold my spare engine 7x over but everyone wanted to hear it running. I had people willing to travel from Hobart over 3hrs away if they were able hear it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it is a hobby GTR. Ideally I'd like a Raptor. I have a poke around on the web every few weeks for a SH one. A turbo would be nice but again it takes time to find one. I have a bit to go on with anyway head upgrades are on the list, which i think I'd need if i boost anyway. Diff gears and shift kit is on the cards this year. I have 3.45s to pick up in Adelaide next month. Gears, shift kit and heads and that might be enough anyway lol.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
They are a good little unit for a bit of fun. I had one on my VS for a short time and a mate had one on his VT for years.

With the factory pulleys they barely do 2psi on a 3.8 but plenty of engineers around make smaller pulleys and we at one point had it wound up to about 9psi which cracked the 200kw mark on an ecotec with a pulley that was about the size of a 50c coin and a bit more fuel. The poor little blower sounded like it was gonna sonic boom it was spinning so fast.

They aren't worth much though, anything more than a couple o hundred dollars and it's not worth it.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They're really sought after these days (dunno why), seems to be the standard price now. Probably because they were on old 86s or something or people trying to do suuuuper budget supercharger installs.

I originally bought mine, as I was planning on running it on a stroker 186....From what I gathered I would have got another 50 HP running 4lb of boost.....

Still got the block and the supercharger....Not sure if I'll continue building it or not yet