Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the optimum tyre pressure?

mooks6669

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MY17 SS Manual
Can someone help. I have a VE SS ute and would like to know if the front and rear tyres should have different pressures....I currently put 38PSI in all 4....what do you think..the placard always seems odd...rather get your opinions...thanks :smoking:

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
pressure will vary from loaded to unloaded , 38 is rather high for unloaded check the tyre placard for pressure then adjust them as require , i would suggest for unloaded 30 in the front 28 in the rear , when loaded 36 all round , also check the recommend pressure on the side wall of the tyre

mooks6669

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MY17 SS Manual
yeah ...still not sure though mate...might be a little low for wear??? will check wall of tyres though..thanks

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
I always just stick to what it says on my sidewall, the maximum psi

mooks6669

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MY17 SS Manual
but should i still have different pressures on the back for an unloaded ute?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
but should i still have different pressures on the back for an unloaded ute?

Yeah i see what you mean.. on my ute on the placard i have diffrent pressures for front and rear.. but on the rodeo it says 50 max psi on all the sidewalls.. so thats what i stick to.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
44 psi will ruin your tyre in no time . be as hard as a rock and very little traction good fuel economy but increased tyre wear and reduced traction . max tyre pressure should only be set when loaded .
front to rear pressure can be varied as the front tyres are normally carrying more load all the time as the rear is just following along . check pressure when cold as hot tyres will give different pressure readings .

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
i seem to float around the 35/36psi mark no matter what im rolling in... seems like a good number.

aZk.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
pressure will vary from loaded to unloaded , 38 is rather high for unloaded check the tyre placard for pressure then adjust them as require , i would suggest for unloaded 30 in the front 28 in the rear , when loaded 36 all round , also check the recommend pressure on the side wall of the tyre

No, can't agree with those pressures at all - they are way too soft for optimum wear.

The VE is not a lightweight, even the Ute. The owner's handbook will provide a range of pressures, according to the use the vehicle is put to. The manufacturers tend to set the tyre pressures towards the lower end of the scale for comfort. I run 36 front and 34 rear in the VY, bumping the rears up to 36 when travelling distances or with a full load of passengers. The higher front end pressure is to compensate for the heavier nose weight of the unladen or lightly laden vehicle.

36/34 isn't harsh to ride on, no tyre squeal when turning in car parks etc, steering is fractionally more direct and has a bit more feel to it. I've found it to be a good compromise. At present, the car is running 235/45x17's.