Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the optimum tyre pressure?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
trial and error is always good comprise between wear and tear grip handling performance ever car is different and every driver is different , a softer tyre will grip and handle better and ride better , a hard tyre will ride harsh and give good economy but traction and tyre wear will be reduced . extended high speed use or highway driving will increase heat and tyre pressure .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
trial and error is always good comprise between wear and tear grip handling performance ever car is different and every driver is different , a softer tyre will grip and handle better and ride better , a hard tyre will ride harsh and give good economy but traction and tyre wear will be reduced . extended high speed use or highway driving will increase heat and tyre pressure .

True, and under-inflation leads to greater rolling resistance, greater heat, reduced grip and reduced tyre life. No pressure is perfect for every condition, but my point was that your recommended pressures were a bit low for the best balance of durability and performance.

I'm not suggesting that my pressures are perfect, by any means, and they might not suit some drivers, but I do believe that they are better suited to the OP than your recommendations.

mooks6669

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MY17 SS Manual
so what do you reccomend for my ss ute with 18's? stick to 38psi cold or run 36psi cold? i always inflate when stone cold too..

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
stick 2 38's if ur unloaded but if ur caryin a bit of weight 40-42 is enough.

the general rule is:

15-16", 34-36psi
17- 18', 36-38psi
19-20", 38-40psi

OCa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive '96
My old commo had those wet set racing kumho tyres, 17", for sum reason they asked for 45psi. Just check the tyre wall and make a judgement on what you think if ur gunna b loaded or unloaded.