Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is your view on smoking? (and cigarette warning labels)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Oh jesus.

CSP, you're making a fool of yourself.

Go and look up what a drug dependancy is. Its not a will power thing. The BODY builds up a dependacy on a drug, when the BODY doesn't get that drug it self destructs. Which IS physically painful.

Heroine is a good example of that, the pain recovering addicts go through isn't a figment of their imagination.
I've no sypmathy for somone stupid enough to use the drug in the first place, but that doesn't make the illness anyless real.

You're a very short sighted, ignorant and arrogant person.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I like the fact that because CSP thinks something is easy, its easy for everyone else.

I cant count the amount of times my mother has said im quitting. Tried to go cold turkey, tried the patches the gum everything. The first sign of trouble, stress of boredom, there goes a packet of smokes. The addiction is so embedded into them it just doesnt go away.

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
anyone want me to save them a seat on the bus?
i'm driving to CSPville i hear it's perfect there!

better leave my smokes at home!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Oh jesus.

Go and look up what a drug dependancy is. Its not a will power thing. The BODY builds up a dependacy on a drug, when the BODY doesn't get that drug it self destructs. Which IS physically painful.

Heroine is a good example of that, the pain recovering addicts go through isn't a figment of their imagination.
I've no sypmathy for somone stupid enough to use the drug in the first place, but that doesn't make the illness anyless real.

+400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Couldn't have said that better myself mate.

I'd give you rep for it, but won't let me, gave you rep a couple of days ago lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It is that easy. I don't do anything I don't want to do.

Nobody is forcing you to pick up a cigarette, light it, and smoke it.

Proof that it's that easy is from others who have simply chosen to not smoke. All that's needed is a big enough desire to stop.

i think we can conclusively say that this is incorrect. it is well proved that different drugs effect people in different ways. tobacco companies inflate the levels of nicotine in smokes to increase addiction levels. for someone who is susceptible to the influence to nicotine it would be very addictive. so although some people can quite with will power alone i certainly wouldn't say that it is possible for all people who smoke

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car

*shurg* OK. If you say so.

So it's painful? So what? Doesn't change the fact that it's a choice. Can't handle the pain? Well then don't quit. Simple. Better still, don't START!

*shurg* OK. If you say so.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
i think we can conclusively say that this is incorrect.

So some smokers aren't mentally or physically in control of their own actions and some are? LOL! Yeah, right...

LOWFLYR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enhanced Auto cammed VXSS 5.7A4
CSP, mate you sound like a knob! take the blinkers off and see we are not living in a perfect world here! i would suggest perhaps you need to open the mind a touch

i am a smoker yes, am i going to quit? no. that's my choice if someone doesn't like it then stiff ****! however, at no time will i smoke around kids, in my home or my car.

my benefits are the enjoyment of it. especially at work (rotating shifts) it is a good excuse to get out of the factory for a short time away from the heat, noise and STRESSES placed on us from our management. and hey it MAY hurt me in the long run but what do you do? wrap yourself up in cotton wool and never go outside again? fark that!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Personally the cigarette warning ads, gory photos on packets etc don't bother me either way. I honestly don't believe it's going to stop existing moderate to heavy, long term smokers, but it may be enough to discourage potentially new smokers, or might even be enough to motivate light smokers to give it up. It's not so much a case of the government wanting to take away your rights, more a case of them trying to prevent people from inflicting harm on themselves, much in the same way they release confronting anti-speeding, anti-fatigue, anti-drink driving ad campaigns.

Most existing smokers aren't going to take any notice of gory pictures or missing brand names on packets, so why does it matter if they are on the packet or not ?
And maybe if the scare campaigns do bother smokers, then maybe those campaigns are doing their job. The government isn't taking away your choice, if they did they would simply ban smoking. However they are attempting to make it blatantly obvious how harmful smoking is. Maybe it is exaggurated in some cases, but if it stops someone taking up smoking, then that is one less tabacco addict that the health system & community is going to need to support in the future.

the difference between alcohol and cigarettes, is alcohol isn't harmful at all (in fact in some cases beneficial) if consumed in moderation.
on the other hand, EVERY cigarette smoked is detrimental to health. Any claimed possible health 'benefit' of smoking is far outweighed by the substantially higher health risks it is responsible for both for the smoker and anyone within the vicinity of the smoker. I might add, claiming that smoking reduces stress etc is like saying alcohol reduces stress. Addicts of any kind, will feel less stressed when they take the drug they are addicted to. However if they weren't addicted to the drug in the first place, it wouldn't be a relaxant. And after a good few minutes googling the 'benefits of smoking', I've yet to find any credible source that claims benefits such as short/long term memory increase.... If someone can find me a credible source to back those claims then I am happy to consider it.

Last edited: