Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What I've been told isn't a problem (COOLING SYSYEM)

D

devilly

also check for leaks at heater tap e.t.c if theres a leak it will be sucking in air.and if all that fails then you'll have to spend i think it's $30 for a new coolant sensor.i hope you get it fixed would like to know how it all goes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
nose uphill is the big one for air pockets.

as above also check heater tap area.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
I haven't had the chance to test if it happens going up hill, it does going down though. A lot of thermostat votes so I'm hoping like crazy it is.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
Just a quick update on this, angle of the car doesn't matter what so ever. I was on a flat surface where the temp gauge had risen to 3/4 where I was home.

I kept the car running, both fans were going full bore. Heat from the heater wasn't out of the ordinary nor did it smell suspicious. I opened the bonnet and the engine didn't seem to be overly hot either.

What I'll be talking to the guy tomorrow is replacing the thermostat, flushing the radiator and possibly the other parts of the system and bled. Talking to him about the coolant sensor, temp gauge sensor and if possible inspect the water pump to see what the impeller looks like. What else possibly?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
just sounds like a sticky thermostat or a pocket of air trapped in there. Do u ever check the level of coolant in the radiator urself? whats the level in the coolant bottle like? empty? almost sounds like the rads just not full enough to do the job properly.

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
OK so I took the car for a warrant over the weekend and also got the thermostat replaced, though it did look as though it needed replacing.

What we did find though was when we did the brake test for the warrant we heard water coming from the passenger side of the car while braking. He then asked me to feel the passenger foot bed and to my surprise was quite wet, he then explained that it was the heater core that nearly certain had a leak in it.

He then said he could either bypass the heater with a U bit of pipe just meaning that I won't have a heater or there's about 7-8 hours of labour at least and ~$180 worth or parts. Can anyone confirm the heater core could cause engine overheating?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Being that it's part of the system it could be introducing air, bypass makes it unroadworthy though in Aus. dunno about NZ.

And who wants to be without a heater in winter - brrr!

Also I'm amazed you couldn't smell the coolant leaking too, surely the car would be all musty and damp.

Last edited:

Coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
199 Holden VT berlina
I'm not sure whether it's road worthy either, he does my warrants though so it's all good. Yes but I think the worst of winter is over in NZ, temps are starting to get milder in the morning.

The car windows have been really foggy in the mornings but I didn't even think of that until he asked me what the car is like in the morning, haven't really smelt anything to be honest.

I sat in the parking building when I got to work this morning to see if the temp gauge would rise. It did, but only to just below the half way mark as it did last week. about a minute or 2 passed and it went back down to the inbetween 1/4-1/2 mark. So I'm still very sceptical whether replacing the thermostat made a difference or not, it hasn't been replaced since I've had the car so a $22 part can't be bad.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I'm not sure whether it's road worthy either, he does my warrants though so it's all good. Yes but I think the worst of winter is over in NZ, temps are starting to get milder in the morning.

The car windows have been really foggy in the mornings but I didn't even think of that until he asked me what the car is like in the morning, haven't really smelt anything to be honest.

I sat in the parking building when I got to work this morning to see if the temp gauge would rise. It did, but only to just below the half way mark as it did last week. about a minute or 2 passed and it went back down to the inbetween 1/4-1/2 mark. So I'm still very sceptical whether replacing the thermostat made a difference or not, it hasn't been replaced since I've had the car so a $22 part can't be bad.

The mechanic heard water on the passenger side, that's a lot of water if you can hear it sloshing around.
You have found the problem, the heater core is leaking onto the floor meaning you are not running with a full cooling system.
Yes, they are a dash out job to replace.
You can buy 12 volt heaters that plug into the cigarette/accessories socket, if you have one..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Water in the passenger side foot well can also be from a blocked drain tube from the air con system. You need to confirm if the water in the foot well is indeed coolant.

I don't remember reading anywhere that it's using coolant?

Our VX has stuffed intake gaskets and requires the coolant to be topped up occasionally, it never ever runs hot even when there is a little air in the system (which is confined to the radiator). Next time you drive the car check the coolant system to see if it is pressurised (just feel the top radiator hose it should be hard). Sloshing water may suggest a faulty radiator cap if the system isn't pressurising correctly.