Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what lights look good on VT

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
correct me if im wrong but if your putting a vt garnish and tail lights in place of the gto/monaro boot garnish then why on earth would you put the reverse lights in the tail light itself ????

holdenrules

Reaction score
evil_monkey said:
correct me if im wrong but if your putting a vt garnish and tail lights in place of the gto/monaro boot garnish then why on earth would you put the reverse lights in the tail light itself ????

Yes, you're right, if the garnish is replaced as well, then there is no problems.

But what US-Snafu wants to do is replace the VX tail lights with VT tail lights but keep the VX garnish, and this setup has no provision by default for reverse lights. :)

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
holdenrules said:
Yes, you're right, if the garnish is replaced as well, then there is no problems.

But what US-Snafu wants to do is replace the VX tail lights with VT tail lights but keep the VX garnish, and this setup has no provision by default for reverse lights. :)

i see what you mean but ive seen it done not very impessive at all

US-Snafu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7/M6
I see what you guys are saying and was thinking that it's just the globe that's amber on the Series 2...I was tracking, just figured you got confused for a second.

So it's either install the garnish, cut a hole and stick another bulb in, or try out a dual-filament bulb.

As for regulations, most that comes from you guys doesn't meet our DOT (Department Of Transportation) standards anyway...no one notices though, as the tails don't look out of place. It would take one astute cop to figure it out, but they don't care that much anyway. I believe the VX's don't have a reflector which technically makes it "illegal" here. Also, some people here may worry about it especially if it is their daily driver, but for me this car is my toy :D and a favorite at that!

Ok, here's a question that I can't figure out...I went to http://www.ozeparts.com.au/ to check out some parts. They list 2 different types of Series 2 tail lights. One says "For Sedan, but not for Calais" and the other says "For Sedan Calais Only". So what's the difference??? :unsure:

Yeah, I know what I'm asking is somewhat out of the ordinary, but you have to remember that there are VERY FEW of these cars in the states, and they are completely new to us, so subtle differences really set you apart and make people (who know the car) turn their heads!

evil_monkey said:
why on earth would you put the reverse lights in the tail light itself ????

Haha!!! Because that's where almost all of our reverse lights are! Also, without the garnish, they've got to go somewhere. :D

US-Snafu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7/M6
Hey, while I've got your ear(s), I'd like to tap into some of the knowledge you guys have!

I'd love to have the side mirrors with the indicator light but I'm not sure that they'll fit on my car. Can someone tell me? These look as though they have a different base, but I can't tell but it says they are for VT/VY. If not these were there any of the regular style side mirrors made with indicator lights?

mirrorglass.jpg
mirrorind.jpg

Hey, it's a little off topic but still has to do with ligths! :D

Sidenote: I recently got some VZ SS fender vents (the chrome accent and side light on it). They look pretty cool but I haven't installed them yet.

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
Sedan lights don't have reflectors in them they are on the rear bar Calais and Berlina lights have reflectors built into the lights if you check my earlier post in this topic no 3 you will see a picture iv'e taken of the vx calais lights you will see the reflector built into the light :thumbsup:
Cuckoo

holdenrules

Reaction score
US-Snafu said:
Ok, here's a question that I can't figure out...I went to http://www.ozeparts.com.au/ to check out some parts. They list 2 different types of Series 2 tail lights. One says "For Sedan, but not for Calais" and the other says "For Sedan Calais Only". So what's the difference??? :unsure:
All the VT Series 2 tail lights are the same and have clear indicator lenses, except for the VT Series 2 Calais, which also has the chrome bar.

It was only VT Series 1 that had amber indicators for all models except the Calais and clear indicator for the Calais only (if you do another search on their site for Series 1 tail lights, you will see what I mean)

They probably didn't need to do that, maybe back in the day, they must have created new part numbers in their database for the VT Series 2 tail lights assuming that they would be different (like Series 1) but then ended up just using them anyway? Just my guess, as I see no other reason why this would have been done.

Note also that they have also seperated the Berlina / Calais boot garnish due to the internal park light diffusers, the VT Exec's and SS don't have them ...
US-Snafu said:
I'd love to have the side mirrors with the indicator light but I'm not sure that they'll fit on my car. Can someone tell me? These look as though they have a different base, but I can't tell but it says they are for VT/VY. If not these were there any of the regular style side mirrors made with indicator lights?
Nope, mirrors with indicators were not factory installed (yet!), these are aftermarket products. Hopefully they will be factory on the new VE's next year :yeah:

The doors on the VT, VX, VY and VZ are all the same, so they should fit OK, based on your description.

K

kadog

Interested in some opinions.

I have a series 1 VTSS. Would it look ok if I only changed the front lights to black alteeza and left the rear garnish/tail lights as is?

US-Snafu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7/M6
Personally, I'd say since you can't see the front and back at the same time and they don't match anyway, why not?...then again I'm just some yank! :yeah:

kadog said:

I have a series 1 VTSS. Would it look ok if I only changed the front lights to black alteeza and left the rear garnish/tail lights as is?

holdenrules

Reaction score
kadog said:

What colour is your SS? I think that the black altezza would look alright on an SS (as opposed to chrome altezza's), as there isn't much other chrome on an SS, otherwise the headlights would stand out, compared to the rest of the car.

If it was a Berlina / Calais or HSV, then there is other chrome parts to balance it.

Yes, leave the red VT garnish (don't go VX) but I'd say go for a Berlina / Calais so you can get the extra park lights. :yeah: Don't just add them in, the dots look crap (see my earlier posts and some pictures from other, the difference is quite noticeable.

Just my opinion ... :thumbsup: