Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What makes a cam lumpy?

VXSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Gen3 5.7L v8
Whats a good cam size for lumpy low end torque

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
anything around the 217-222 intake, 220-228 exhaust and 110-112 LSA

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
215/223 .610 112+2

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
A little off topic but what would be recommended for a stock 304 (without needing to shave heads etc)

Would like something with a choppy/lumpy idle and a decent exhaust note (not overly fussed in power gains but mid range rev improvement would be nice)

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
A little off topic but what would be recommended for a stock 304 (without needing to shave heads etc)

Would like something with a choppy/lumpy idle and a decent exhaust note (not overly fussed in power gains but mid range rev improvement would be nice)

276 cam..? Why not shave some head meat off? 5L have a piss poor na comp ratio from factory.

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
276 cam..? Why not shave some head meat off? 5L have a piss poor na comp ratio from factory.

Because labour just for cam/valve springs/lifters etc from a reputable performance workshop isn't cheap to begin with before you start thinking of machine work etc.

(I can't be bothered doing it myself, I don't have the time and patience at the moment)

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
I hear ya.. Let me know what ya get charged.

Electrical work, Adelaide all areas.
Pm me.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Because labour just for cam/valve springs/lifters etc from a reputable performance workshop isn't cheap to begin with before you start thinking of machine work etc.

(I can't be bothered doing it myself, I don't have the time and patience at the moment)

Then leave the motor stock.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

'lumpy' cam and stock low compression don't mix. You'll most likely end up losing power.
They get away with it on the LS engines because they have a decent comp ratio, but unfortunately the Holden V8 has lousy comp from the factory.

if you just want a lumpy idle, get a tuner to richen up the idle ;)