Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What makes a good driver?

XST80

Cubic inches or gtfo.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman S2 5L
I agree with majority of what has been said in this thread.

I think one of the biggest factors is knowing your cars abilities, knowing how far you can push it, knowing whether you can get across a road in time i.e pulling out of a drive way to the other side of the road.

A good driver knows how quickly the car accelerates, how quickly it pulls up under brakes, how far the brakes can be applied before lock up etc, etc.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
..... it means being able to stay out of trouble, and when or if you do get into some - having the skills to get yourself out of it.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Being able to read traffic, follow the road rules, and before you make a decision, make sure your ass is covered.

I am sick to death of people not doing the speed limit for any particular reason, i.e. for a long period of time, people who don't look in their mirrors before changing lines or whatnot and most of all, people that can't merge at the right speed.

Over confidence really is the downfall of a driver, I don't consider myself to be a 'good driver' but I follow the rules, I put safety first. In my view, that is key.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
minux.

nuff said. :)

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
minux.

nuff said. :)

lol

according to FAT.084 its not me, its my fault that i people with show cars dont drive them out on the roads (im not allowed to drive)

cracker

Reaction score
anyone who isnt a red p plater/ asain/ taxi driver

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
i would define a good driver as someone who knows whats going on around them on the road, ie: will that car continue swerving when i get closer? or will that P-plater slam up my ass if i need to brake quickly? They can read the road and the drivers around them

They follow the speed limit when its safe to do so, not necessarily all the time, if there is a clown on the road its safer to break the law for 10secs and speed, they will. They know that if they need to take a risk, 1, their car can do it safely. 2, they see/know all possible senaros/outcomes

They note what the car is doing, reacting, responding, they monitor engine gauges. They keep left when not overtaking and keep a safe distance.

Generally just being totally aware of your car and surroundings.

pretty much.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
A good driver cant be OVERLY confident with their abilities, but you'd damn well wanna hope that they are VERY confident. Whenever you ask any driver 'do you think youre a good driver?' the answer should ALWAYS be 'yes!' no matter if their on their L's, P's or full licence.

The amount of major accidents and very near misses there are due to hesitation and not know what the hell youre doing (ie, turning right from the left lane - when its not a hook turn, u-turns at busy intersections, not merging!!! - stopping when merging onto a freeway etc.)

A good driver has to know the road rules (dont have to be an expert who can recite every single rule off the top of your head), know your car and its abilities, know your abilities and your limits, and be aware of your surrounings. that is all.

also, I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I make the best driver. done and done. :)