Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what memcal to use??? vn v8

D

Damian_w42

hey ther i want to run a holden chip not a custom as thay spent 100, and 100, of $$$$$$ on making the chips how and sum guy whif a laptop do beter in his shed i dont mean to be mean but tell me if im rong plz. but i no a guy thats works whif lots of v8's and he told me he has seen them louse kw whif "homer chips if you get me so whif the 180 chip wher dus the knock plug into the ecu as i can get a 180 or 215 chip for $155

plz tell me about the custom chips as i have only herd bad things thanks.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The 215i chip will not run properly, these were ddesigned for the VN Group A's and the VR/VS strokers.
AirStrike :air:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Damian_w42 said:
hey ther i want to run a holden chip not a custom as thay spent 100, and 100, of $$$$$$ on making the chips how and sum guy whif a laptop do beter in his shed i dont mean to be mean but tell me if im rong plz. but i no a guy thats works whif lots of v8's and he told me he has seen them louse kw whif "homer chips if you get me so whif the 180 chip wher dus the knock plug into the ecu as i can get a 180 or 215 chip for $155

No offence but doc bob is no back yarder working out of his shed!!! He works for holden. If you get the 180 chip for $155 the knock sensor will set you back a further $60-80 and the loom about $60.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Damian_w42 said:

Try doing some research yourself & not listen to people who obviously have no idea about EFI tuning

The Knock sensor circuit plugs into B11 in a VN
if you must use the HSV memcal use the 180 kw one, you have a better chance of it running half decent.

Rob

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
i think i know what he's getting at, why you DR BOB can write a better chip than holden with there million dollar budget. my un knowledgable answer would be, holden design the tune for most fuel effiecient, quietness(tuned for the quiet exhaust), standard unleaded and drivability. when u want a power increasing chip, u don't care to much for the extra fuel, the loudness of the vehicle or the drivability, you just want it to go fast and do burn-outs.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
dr. bob......what will a stock memcal do with a worked engine????? will it run like crap or will it just limit the amount of power the engine can make?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Tails, you have it pretty well with that, the factory calibration is not tuned for maximum power output.

boonah, it will limit the output & possibly even cause damage, depending on how much work has been done, if the cam has been changed it will probably idle poorly, if at all.

Rob

D

Damian_w42

Doctor Bob said:
Try doing some research yourself & not listen to people who obviously have no idea about EFI tuning

The Knock sensor circuit plugs into B11 in a VN
if you must use the HSV memcal use the 180 kw one, you have a better chance of it running half decent.

Rob

well as you can see me asking is me doing my own research. now i got told that it was vr that had the knock senser not vn vp whats the go ther

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Knock sensor was factory fitted to the following:
VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VX, VY V6, (different sensor from VS)
VN, VP, VR, VS V8 (HSV Only) (same as eary V6 Sensor)
VT V8 All
LS1 All
VZV6 All

Where are you getting all this misleading information?

Rob

D

Damian_w42

alll over the place sum guy at holden 1 at a yard heeps of ppl so if i put a 180 chip and no knock will it just ping its tits off? how do i hook up the knock to the ecu