Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Model Engine Do I have From Engine Number

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I dont know what engine type I have in my VS sedan all I know is its a V6 3.8L I have the Engine number its: VH675430 but the 3 might not be a 3 its hard to tell from the dots punched into the engine, I have attached a picture to this post. I need to know so I can buy the correct harmonic balancer. Thanks all.

Just to be clear I need to know the engine type is it a VS or VR or VT or series 1 or 2 etc

Attachments

• Engine Number Edited.jpg
    Engine Number Edited.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 142

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Just get one for a VS Ecotec. VT will also be the same, you do not want one from a VR.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
VH engine number prefix followed by six digits is for a VS V6 engine. VR V6 also has a VH prefix but is followed by seven digits.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi GK813,

JFYI You are correct it is a 3.

Some parts companies in the earlier days specified VS Series 1 or 2, others used engine numbers (mainly the GM dealers) but that has all been dumped and the various balancers have all been homologated into one unit that's retrofitable to the ecotech engines on VS.

I guess there's one other issue that hasn't been asked and that is "is your engine the original one fitted" or has it been replaced at some stage of its life as many are now no longer originals. Regardless you'll get one and if all else fails take yours off and take it along to compare with the new unit. This will save any aggravation I can assure you of that.