Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 What options do i have????????

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
i've spent 7k on headers, high flow cats, shift kit(stage 3 n corvette n superhold servo), stallie, 3.7 diff gears with reconditioned lsd, cam package with custom tune, spark plugs n leads. also tuned to 98 octane. i understand what u mean but obviously if u got some of it already then it would be cheaper. but according to the research that i did in this forum b4 i got everything done, getting the cam, stallie n gears at the same time is highly advisable for they complement each other n the specs of one another is based on what the other one is lol hopefully i make sense. plus they will find out eventually n they will get mad at u more for lying so better take the hit now and get over n done with hahaha. my missus was so pissed when i told her what im going to do n up until she hop in the car n and experienced the new feel then told her that when we buy the new VE clubby then she could have my car, well lets juz say that it worked a charm. so now she's expecting it to be hers soon n every now n again gives me a hint of what we agreed on lmao. m8 i aint rich, im juz a forky but i've saved until i can get evrything done in one go. for a long time ive put up with a sluggish car n try to avoid havin a go at someone for i know i will get my ass handed to me. until i did all of this to my car. never really drag for i dont want to lose my license, i gun it up to the speed limit but thats about it(cant really do it now for its easy to get there now lol). but i had a friend of mine that owns a skyline, not a gtr but only a gtst n he always givin me **** how if i think my car will be able to keep up with his car. so i didnt tell him anything about the mods juz told him i got full exhaust lol so yeah i lied to him hahaha. so i decided to give him a run. got to the traffic light and he had this big grin in his face like saying u ready for some ass whopping. so i stalled it till about 3k, light went green, then wollaaaa lol absolutely annihilated him. car jumped off the line like crazy n in the end i was 5 car lengths ahead of him. my friend couldnt even look at me after n like notting happened. he was in a state of shock. but gee i was shittin my self though thinkin frk me hopefully theres no cops but at the same time i was pissin myself laughin. i seriously didnt want to do it except i juz wanted to let him know that dont under estimate a v8. anyway thats my story lol

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
i've spent 7k on headers, high flow cats, shift kit(stage 3 n corvette n superhold servo), stallie, 3.7 diff gears with reconditioned lsd, cam package

Dont you get sick of changing gears manually all the time on the street? How high is the stall?

OP - How does you car go with the stally in it, if you want to use it at its full potential, they usually go hand in hand with cams so you'll probably want to re-think the cam. If you lift the stall you'de want to match the power curve.

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
well this is what i confused about. i ask him for a stage two kit, but he said he'll put a stage 3, then i said well wouldnt that be manualised and he said no that would be stage 4. so i told him r u sure and he assured me. im thinkin he's tryin to rip me off right but since hes charging me 350-400-450 somewhere along there, sorry for im trying to remember it. it wasnt far off the price of the stage2 fitted n im thinkin even if he's tryin to lie to me its all gud for i was happy with a stage two in the first place. but as much as i want to think thats its not stage 3, the bloke is pretty genuine n has been pretty spot on at everything(except for deadline ofcourse lol). plus i got all the receipts which listed everything that was in the car. so when i get my tranny serviced somewhere else i will get it checked then complain if it was not what he said it was. anyway can somebody plz confirm if its actually possible for a stage 3 not to be manualised for im not sure about it n information would be gr8. and no m8 i wouldnt get sick of changing gears all the time but only if its manual for the left leg really goes automatically when changing gears but in an auto itz jus not the same. not as effortless but thats jus my opinion lol. cruizin' n dragin' on the track u cant beat an auto but full driving experince n full control then hands down manual.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
i've spent 7k on headers, high flow cats, shift kit(stage 3 n corvette n superhold servo), stallie, 3.7 diff gears with reconditioned lsd, cam package with custom tune, spark plugs n leads. also tuned to 98 octane. i understand what u mean but obviously if u got some of it already then it would be cheaper. but according to the research that i did in this forum b4 i got everything done, getting the cam, stallie n gears at the same time is highly advisable for they complement each other n the specs of one another is based on what the other one is lol hopefully i make sense. plus they will find out eventually n they will get mad at u more for lying so better take the hit now and get over n done with hahaha. my missus was so pissed when i told her what im going to do n up until she hop in the car n and experienced the new feel then told her that when we buy the new VE clubby then she could have my car, well lets juz say that it worked a charm. so now she's expecting it to be hers soon n every now n again gives me a hint of what we agreed on lmao. m8 i aint rich, im juz a forky but i've saved until i can get evrything done in one go. for a long time ive put up with a sluggish car n try to avoid havin a go at someone for i know i will get my ass handed to me. until i did all of this to my car. never really drag for i dont want to lose my license, i gun it up to the speed limit but thats about it(cant really do it now for its easy to get there now lol). but i had a friend of mine that owns a skyline, not a gtr but only a gtst n he always givin me **** how if i think my car will be able to keep up with his car. so i didnt tell him anything about the mods juz told him i got full exhaust lol so yeah i lied to him hahaha. so i decided to give him a run. got to the traffic light and he had this big grin in his face like saying u ready for some ass whopping. so i stalled it till about 3k, light went green, then wollaaaa lol absolutely annihilated him. car jumped off the line like crazy n in the end i was 5 car lengths ahead of him. my friend couldnt even look at me after n like notting happened. he was in a state of shock. but gee i was shittin my self though thinkin frk me hopefully theres no cops but at the same time i was pissin myself laughin. i seriously didnt want to do it except i juz wanted to let him know that dont under estimate a v8. anyway thats my story lol

Wow, it's almost like I was there. :thumbsup:

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
I am pretty sure that the stage 3 shift kits don't have to be maunualised as that is what i have been told is in my trans and it shifts by its self but just really hard and sharp do need to change the kick back cable but as it is off a V6 (don't know why it was like that when i got it)

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
lol yes mate it does shift hard. but im not complaining but i can see why some ppl wouldnt like it for it does bite way different than normal. i found that u either drive the car really easy then it drives normal or rip it hard. anything in between is annoying. if u drive with a heavy foot but dont want to go all the way, then the car is like a dog on a leash that sees another dog but ur holdin it back so the dog gets aggravated n gets confused if it wants to stay put or bolt. lol again i hope u get what i mean hahaha. And Betts im glad u enjoyed my lil experience haha

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
I have talked things over with my uncle (enginebuilder) and he has told me what to get and how much its going to cost.

I have chosen to go with a 355 With Forged Pistons, H Beams etc. The cam is still undecided on but it will be a roller so i will be trying to source a VT Block. If i cant find one i will still be using the same setup with just a hydraulic cam.

I will also be going with 3.45 gears and the box will be left how it is.

Thanks for your help guys.

v8ondubz

L.ove O.f V. 8 E.ngine
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt 5 litre
wow strokin it hmmmmm so jealous ryt now. i need another 7k for that n 3.5k for come ttb. GL m8 keep us updated n yes u will not regret it

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Stages dont have a given amount of work, the word stage is really a throw around term, I've got several mates with auto shops, performance shops and even my dad has been building autos for 30 years, they all laugh when people go in and ask for a stage ?. It usually tells them that they can do and charge what they want. Stage 3 is about the only thing that has a meaning and yes it does refer to full manual. Once you know what is involved and has to be done to achieve hard shift up hard shift down, prolong gears, stronger autos and how stall convertors work in with cams, there are heaps of ways of adjusting the box to do it. There is a plate in between the box and valve body for example and if you drill a 1/8 hole in the right spot for the oil journals, you automatically get a hard shift, then there is softer spring, modulator tension and so on. Most race autos undergo a lot of changes and adjustments before they are right, street boxes get the simple stuff, extra clutches, steel servo piston etc.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I want to go supercharged in the future, not now.
I dont want to stroke the engine
I dont want to go for a cam+higher comp

I have chosen to go with a 355 With Forged Pistons, H Beams etc. The cam is still undecided on but it will be a roller so i will be trying to source a VT Block. If i cant find one i will still be using the same setup with just a hydraulic cam.

I will also be going with 3.45 gears and the box will be left how it is.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sounds like your mind has been changed, well done to your uncle, you'll end up with a tuff motor if thats what you end up doing.:thumbsup: