Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What should first mods to a VT be?

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
I rekon get some nice mats, matching front and rear seatcovers, and a workshop manual. Then ditch the mudguards, get some nice mags if you can afford them, and some lows...you can always go lower later if you must but just lows are practical and you dont need to change anything else provided its all in good condition. Then paint your calipers and maybe tint the windows and just generally fix anything that needs it. Then you can move on to a cat back and a cold air intake and stuff...see MACE. Anyway, have fun doing it, thats kinda the point, just to enjoy it :)

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I would start with a good old service oils/fluids, plugs,leads,filters then definitely mags an then what the others have said suspension ect.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your car is a Series 2, which is a better starting point than a Series 1 VT, though not by much. Before spending money on the flash stuff, think of what can be improved from standard to make the car safer and more pleasant to drive. The VT rear suspension was woeful and the lack of camber control means that you can end up with excessive rear tyre wear. Give some thought to replacing the rear suspension assembly with one from a Series 2 VX onwards as they were sorted out by the factory to eliminate the tyre wear, improve handling and ride quality. You can then consider lowering the car without the serious camber issues that VT's suffer from at the rear when lowered. At the same time, consider new shocks all round as the car probably still has the originals and they are pretty well certain to be knackered by now. Don't even think of lowering the suspension without addressing the rear camber and shock absorbers first - you will be wasting your money unless you fix these things. They're not very cheap but they are essential. Also look at the suspension bushes, discs and pads, brake bleed (bet that hasn't been done for yonks), and as others have suggested, oil changes all round (engine, steering, trans and diff), coolant, filters, plugs - anything that should be addressed during the service program. Older models tend to get neglected at servicing time so getting these essential things done at the start means you have a nice clean sheet from the outset.

I realise these suggestions are not at all exciting and won't improve the looks of your car, but they are sensible and will ensure that long term, you will get a better run out of your car and enjoy it more.

Last edited:

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i wouldnt call general serviceing a mod...

i do like calabers suggestion of looking at replacing the rear suspension with the later model with the toe control.

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all the extremely quality suggestions guys and calaber thanks for you detailed one! Taking all things in I will do all the servicing and such first to make sure i have a tip top vehicle then moving onto rims.. just found these on ebay and wondering if they are a definate buy for the price what are they worth will i get any others that look decent for that much they come with tyres and everything! is it hard to replace the unrwc tyre with one of my current tyres?
Holden VT VX VY VZ HSV Calais 16" Wheels (Set of 5) (eBay item 220728802202 end time 30-Jan-11 19:57:52 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

thanks all

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Get some bigger sway bars after you sort out the basics.

Bigger sway bars are the best bang for buck mod you can do.