Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Should I Be Paying For a Tune?

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Oh so Chev's is the hated tuner on this forum? (never dealt with him personally, but has a lot of loyal customers on a certain other Commodore orientated forum).

Yeah $700-1000 depending on shop, will generally need credits if HPT at least, yes you can retain MAF and it makes the tuner's life a bit easier as well. Would steer clear of remote / mail order tunes unless you're extremely desperate. Wouldn't use price as a deciding factor either, but cheaper does not necessarily mean it will be worse.

It's not really rocket science for most shops to do a tune for the average bolt on car, most would load in a generic tune, add or subtract a bit of timing, give it a few tweaks after doing a couple of dyno runs and off you go. Agree about AFRs and cold start etc, it should behave like standard for the most part.

Depending on how far west you are in NSW, it could be worth going over to SA - I used and recommend CAPA personally, but otherwise I'd go to Willall in Adelaide, or Morpowa.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The LS1 forums love him, when I was over on that site, they did meets there etc which may explain a lot of the praise. Personally, Ive had 2 bad run ins with him and youll find few of the other Victorian guys here who wont touch him.

I guess with almost everywhere though, youll have the good and the bad and it only takes one bad experience to sour an opinion.

I just really dont appreciate rocking up to collect my car, to pay for work I wasn't told about, forced to pay in cash without arranging that with me prior - to be fair to him, I had to sort everything with reception who failed to mention it (which resulted in me having to come back the next day to pay him resulting in a cross town drive, 4 times) then 6 months later finding out that the work he charged me for that wasnt approved, wasnt actually carried out.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
The LS1 forums love him, when I was over on that site, they did meets there etc which may explain a lot of the praise. Personally, Ive had 2 bad run ins with him and youll find few of the other Victorian guys here who wont touch him.

I guess with almost everywhere though, youll have the good and the bad and it only takes one bad experience to sour an opinion.

I just really dont appreciate rocking up to collect my car, to pay for work I wasn't told about, forced to pay in cash without arranging that with me prior - to be fair to him, I had to sort everything with reception who failed to mention it (which resulted in me having to come back the next day to pay him resulting in a cross town drive, 4 times) then 6 months later finding out that the work he charged me for that wasnt approved, wasnt actually carried out.

you talking about spark plugs and leads which were still the OEM **** and never changed.

Or talking about the 3.9 diff gears which you paid for that were never installed?

Or something else i've forgotten.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Lol. Chevs...wouldn't let that guy touch my lawnmower.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No point soliciting general public and amateur mechanics about their opinion of professional tuners mate. Sheeple on forums typically don't have the same mods, driving requirement or even the same car as you, and many self-professed experts are self aggrandising backyard boofheads out of the loop: On LS1 for eg. there is one loud mouth who (thinks he) runs the show, drives around Wagga Wagga with "V8 Tuner" number plates, bitches and bags professionals nationally because he is one of the few in his town with a laptop plus he downloaded some "car software". Reality is he's a backyard tuning novice who (didn't) know there was another motor variant in the VE apart from L98 (discontinued four years ago), and timing should never go beyond 24º up the top end.

Car tune: There are two main software platforms to tune GM GenIV, each has specific advantages but do roughly same thing. The competency or proficiency of the operator may have bugger all to do with his ability to provide a good service, same as hands-on race track experience doesn't mean squat for your bolt-on street MAF tweak. Most yahoos use HPT, which I've found ideally suited to transmission tune and quick MAF tune, not so crash hot when it comes to tuning AFM or e85 calcs – EFILive has more advanced capabilities I've found. Basic flash load and tweak of tune will cost between $500-700. If you are racing and want to tune for high rpm WOT power delivery then a dyno run will cost a couple of hundred more, and that money will buy some quantitative results. In my experience that is a waste of money for most people.

Having spent almost $10,000 tuning same car as you, I have no hesitation suggesting a remote tuning tool so a tuner can interface directly with your ECU and flash a base tune. Then with your feedback and log files will be able to tune until it drives like you want. This will cost about the same as a flash tune in the city but you are part of both the tuning and communication process. OFC if you have no idea and don't know what you want then go to a tuner in Sydney because there is heaps of professional competition. The key here is communication of your expectation in the first place, listening to the expert(s), and deciding whether you want the result he is communicating.

Shop around the leading proponents of EFILive and HPTuners and you will find the difference between a **** tune and a good one is not an art, but demonstrated hours of commercial and technical experience, so it may make sense to leverage his experience while improving your knowledge / technical skills tuning at your home via email on your PC.

Last edited:

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
EFI Live / HPT is really no difference to the end user of the car if used by a competent tuner, neither does OP have to go all the way to Sydney to get a bolt on tune done. I assume when location says Western NSW it means somewhere like Broken Hill btw, which is closer to Mildura and Adelaide.

Also not sure why you felt the need to bag someone who doesn't even use this forum ITT Pirate, when it's irrelevant to the discussion.

I would however, not go anywhere that feels compelled to lock tunes. Usually means they have something to hide, and it can be a real pain in the arse when you want to go elsewhere. Some will argue the whole IP thing on this though.

Yeah fair enough Grennan, I've seen examples of this with local shops too. It's why my mechanic gives back the bits that he replaces, especially if it's an obscure or expensive part. Even when I had my cam done, I got given back all of the parts that were replaced in the engine.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
EFI Live / HPT is really no difference to the end user of the car if used by a competent tuner, neither does OP have to go all the way to Sydney to get a bolt on tune done. I assume when location says Western NSW it means somewhere like Broken Hill btw, which is closer to Mildura and Adelaide.

Like I said, look into remote tune else you get sheeple and amateurs who know FA confusing the issue.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I'm not a huge fan of remote tuning because there is no way to check WOT AFR safely without using a dyno (not to mention a wideband 02), so if you're going to have to go to a dyno anyway...

I think you're confusing OP with all of this unneeded jargon; it's just a VE with some pipes and OTR, not a supercharger or cam that needs to be logged on the road and fiddled with until it is 'just right'. It will be a very straightforward job (barring any mechanical failure) for a tuner who does them on a regular basis.