Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What sizes can my motor be bored to ?

Stocko8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 5 Ltr
Hey I have just bought a 1990 vn Calais 5 Ltr v8 and i am planing on rebuilding the motor (currently at 290000 k's) but still goes hard lol, and i was wondering if anyone can tell me all the sizes it can be bored out to eg. min - max

thanks. :bow:

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
I think you'll find the most common is the 355, but 383 would be up towards the maximum. not sure if its the biggest or safest option though.

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
but thats stroking it not boring it out,

u would have standard strock, 304 then 333 then 355 then 383

have no idea about boring it out and fitting larger pistons

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
I'd bore it out 60 though or so, high comp flat top pistons, 3/4 race cam, port and polished heads etc....

all depends on the power your after to the work u get done on it.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
what a waste of hard earned money

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^ never said to do those things, just throwing some ideas out there, each to there own when it comes to building a motor, its personal prefference....

your obviously gonna have an idea of what sorta power you are after before re-building a motor, otherwise yes it will be a waste of money.

Where's your positive input??

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
People are getting mixed up with stroking & boreing....Generally, 30 thou is enough to clean the lip off the top of the bores, and really thats all you want to achieve with a freshen up. If you go 60 thou straight off, it won't have much left in it, where as if you just go 30 thou, the motor will still have another life left in it should you need it.

Stroking is a completely different thing, this is when you change the crank to one with more stroke e.g. 3.48" for 355, 3.75" for 383. Boreing will do stuff all for displacement, 30 though will take it out to about 310 cubes which is nothing to rave about....

3/4 race cam?? WTF?? there is no such thing....Thats a stupid way of referring to cams!

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
^^^ never said to do those things, just throwing some ideas out there, each to there own when it comes to building a motor, its personal prefference....

your obviously gonna have an idea of what sorta power you are after before re-building a motor, otherwise yes it will be a waste of money.

Where's your positive input??

My positive input? Making sure he is aware of the costs involved to make a stroked 5L actually go fast.

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6: 3/4 race cam?? sorry i dont know the exact specs/or what it is exactly, the cam im talking about is in my old mans VH SS peter brock special (308) so i retract my previous statement.

My positive input? Making sure he is aware of the costs involved to make a stroked 5L actually go fast.

Nicko: Where in his first post did he say anything about the cost of stroking it?? And ya never said anything about the cost except for "what a waste of hard earned money" ... aint exactly a cost is it.

The question was about boring it out, yeah sure throw out the idea of stroking it, but dont rag on ppls posts.