Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what speakers to buy. keep blowing them.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
hey i need some advice without searching the internet all day for 600 threads.

i have an alpine amp the puts out 80-90W RMS and i need some good speakers that won't blow. first i bought some cadence 3 ways all round and blew them. then i bought some sound stream picasso 6.5 component speakers that said they could handle 100W RMS but blew 2 of them within 2 months, i don't turn it up past where i hear the distortion and never drive constantly at full power.

i was looking at some morel speakers, type x etc but they all seem to be a bit low on the power side.

anyone give me some good brands, styles or anything to get?

cheers heaps.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Perhaps there's something wrong with your amp? Get any weird thumps, etc?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You need someone experienced with audio to show you when distortion is audible as your speakers must be distorting OR you have a faulty amp.

Any speaker will blow if you continue to overdrive them...

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Turn down the volume for each channel on the amp. Turn the headunit volume up as loud as it can go, turn each channel up one by one until it distorts, then turn it back down just a touch. Then you will never blow your speakers again.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Learn to set your gains, there is the option to do so for a reason. Also learn to hear when a speaker is stressed, not really difficult stuff.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Learn to set your gains, there is the option to do so for a reason. Also learn to hear when a speaker is stressed, not really difficult stuff.
It IS difficult for guys new to car audio. My mate's all thought they set their gains correctly and weren't listening to distortion but they were wrong. So many people can't hear minor clipping or mechanical speaker distortion and need to actually be shown it before they will learn.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
Yeah I did get it tuned by a mate who has been doing it for 5 years. We thought we would be safe and turn the gain down even more than normal when we set it up. It was running about 50-60%.
It's the second amp I've had I upgraded to a bigger one. It sounded good for ages no distortion even up loud.
When i say blowing them well the still work they just crackle really bad and sound like the cone is hitting and rattling real bad.

It might be the amp surging every now and then. But that's what I thought it was with the old amp but when I got a new one it never fixed it.

I dunno I'm sick of it ready to rip the whole thing out and start again lol. If I had the money.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Turn down the volume for each channel on the amp. Turn the headunit volume up as loud as it can go, turn each channel up one by one until it distorts, then turn it back down just a touch. Then you will never blow your speakers again.

You arent going to be able to turn each channel up very much then. With the volume at max, the preamp is already going to be screaming?

Set them with the volume at 75% instead, and learn not to turn it up past that.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yeah I did get it tuned by a mate who has been doing it for 5 years. We thought we would be safe and turn the gain down even more than normal when we set it up. It was running about 50-60%.
It's the second amp I've had I upgraded to a bigger one. It sounded good for ages no distortion even up loud.
When i say blowing them well the still work they just crackle really bad and sound like the cone is hitting and rattling real bad.

It might be the amp surging every now and then. But that's what I thought it was with the old amp but when I got a new one it never fixed it.

I dunno I'm sick of it ready to rip the whole thing out and start again lol. If I had the money.

Do you mean 50% or 60% gain? Turn it right down, zero gain should be the aim, work from there.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
You arent going to be able to turn each channel up very much then. With the volume at max, the preamp is already going to be screaming?

Set them with the volume at 75% instead, and learn not to turn it up past that.

Doesnt the external amp bypass the pre-amp through the RCA's?