Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to add to the oil to clean the inside of the engine on a vt

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
My other car is a diesel van, and I do all the servicing myself. I have to change the oil every 5,000 KMs and filter every 10,000 Kms. And about 200 kms after the oil change, the oil is black already.

It is because diesels produce lots more soot (carbon) and that is absorbed into the oil.

I assume the additives and detergents in the engine oil for diesels is to prevent the build-up of this soot inside the engine. So using diesel engine oil would clean a petrol engine better than normal petrol engine oils. However I do not know if diesel engine oil will do any damage to other components in a petrol engine.

Cheers,

JG

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
My other car is a diesel van, and I do all the servicing myself. I have to change the oil every 5,000 KMs and filter every 10,000 Kms. And about 200 kms after the oil change, the oil is black already.

It is because diesels produce lots more soot (carbon) and that is absorbed into the oil.

I assume the additives and detergents in the engine oil for diesels is to prevent the build-up of this soot inside the engine. So using diesel engine oil would clean a petrol engine better than normal petrol engine oils. However I do not know if diesel engine oil will do any damage to other components in a petrol engine.

Cheers,

JG

it'll be fine , as you only leave it in for 20 mins idling, then dump it while it's hot.

D

devilly

brought a second hand car ,has been not been looked after ,just wanted to fix it clean it and maintain it properly.so far have degreased engine,new engine mounts as right side was broken,new struts, shockys springs and all front end done ,brand new nothanine rubbers on the whole front end,
new brake pads front and back,changed engine oil and filter, new fuel filter, gearbox done.new coolant,new spark plugs, i brought it with a red front bumper,have finished painting and clear coated, just put in fuel injector cleaner,and remember there was a good one for the engine but couldn't remember the name. are there any other things i might want to do to make it a safer and more reliable car ?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
lets see a picture of it

safer and more reliable ....think you have nailed it

tyre selection?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
nothanine rubbers prone to crack stick with rubber .

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
nothanine rubbers prone to crack stick with rubber .

I see you commenting this on every post and it is just not true. Poly bushes have come a long way since first introduced and with correct lubrication pose no issue.

In some areas where bushes come in direct contact with the chassis, NVH may be increased but that's it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Trouble with flush products is that anything that they do remove end up in the oil. then it gets sucked into the pick up and can possibly block or reduce the amount of oil being able to pass through the pick up. Then you have the crap that makes it to the oil filter and starts to clog that. Then the oil filter will bypass the oil as the pressure is increasing, so the crap gets into the oil system and starts to effect the bearing material.

I was about to post, but then I clicked on the first page and you'd already said what I was going to say. Couldn't agree with this more.