Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do - rebuild?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I'm glad mine has the Brembos.
I’d love to get some myself but don’t have a lazy 2 - 2.5k sitting in my bank unfortunately, although I’m thinking of buying some safe brake braided lines which will probably help somewhat

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
D

Dean1985

Alright you bunch! I agree with the brakes. Poor. I really thought maybe it was just my car, turns out...

Anyways, i have sent some requests to Camshaft suppliers and had varied responses as below.

(This isnt a case of someone being an 'askhole', you have all resigned me to the fact i need to swap the cam, dont rebuild, dont build the engine to match the cam. But im going to do extra due diligence because 3 isnt a lucky number, i want to not have to revisit this again)

I shot an email to Crane, Crow, Camtech explaining basically what i have to you bunch and this is what i received (In Summation).
(sent email attached) Cam Request.JPG

Crane - Helpful, responsive.
  • Not an ideal situation…..
  • A question I can’t really answer, as your compression ratio is a guesstimate
  • Technically you will need to step up to a 286 #884301
  • Hard to say if the 284 has enough overlap to cure your problem !!!!
  • Could/should/might be ok…. Hate for you to install one and its still detonating
  • As for converter stall….everyone has a different thought
  • BUT you will sacrifice low end torque and need a small (approx. 2200) stall converter (Please email Dominator for their input)
  • Unfortunately not really suited to your main usage
  • You might want to try a good high output ignition system
    • I would suggest a Crane/Fast HI-6 Box & LX92 coil
  • The increased spark output and low RPM multispark could be enough to fix your problem

Crow - Helpful, short responses (leaving me unsure if the request was given the thought required)

• At first a cam was suggested and an order sheet was supplied with no word from the technician Crow Cam.JPG
  • I replied asking if this would fix the issue i provided.
  • A day later i received an email saying "Yes i think this will solve your problem" from the head of "The Head Technical Department"

Camtech
.No response.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That crow cam won’t help you. The crane reply is the most appropriate - remember that they’re covering themselves in that email. You really need to talk to them over the phone.

You don’t need to alter the ignition system. There are plenty of salespeople out there that aren’t familiar with engine combos. You’re better off calling them and chatting to them - they’ll be able to help you more that way.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Alright you bunch! I agree with the brakes. Poor. I really thought maybe it was just my car, turns out...

Anyways, i have sent some requests to Camshaft suppliers and had varied responses as below.

(This isnt a case of someone being an 'askhole', you have all resigned me to the fact i need to swap the cam, dont rebuild, dont build the engine to match the cam. But im going to do extra due diligence because 3 isnt a lucky number, i want to not have to revisit this again)

I shot an email to Crane, Crow, Camtech explaining basically what i have to you bunch and this is what i received (In Summation).
(sent email attached)View attachment 209792

• Could/should/might be ok…. Hate for you to install one and its still detonating
  • BUT you will sacrifice low end torque and need a small (approx. 2200) stall converter (Please email Dominator for their input)
  • The increased spark output and low RPM multispark could be enough to fix your problem

Crow - Helpful, short responses (leaving me unsure if the request was given the thought required)

• At first a cam was suggested and an order sheet was supplied with no word from the technician View attachment 209793
  • A day later i received an email saying "Yes i think this will solve your problem" from the head of "The Head Technical Department"

Camtech
.No response.
I am surprised you didn't have a response from Camtech. I have found them helpful on the two occasions I have contacted them. On both occasions they had different specs for the same cam. They corrected the errors immediately and advised me at the same time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yet to use them but heard only good things about Camtech from well known engine builders.

Also helps they're in Sydney so 100% will pay them a visit before buying parts.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

(sent email attached)View attachment 209792

• At first a cam was suggested and an order sheet was supplied with no word from the technician View attachment 209793

Camtech
.No response.
At work I base cylinder pressure on intake closing point. Later close = less pressure.
And looking at the Crow recommended (and my 355 has a Crow) they appear wrong. Your current 30° close would step back to 28° and in theory create more pressure at low RPM worsening the situation.
Although, cam cards do only show a snippet of information and crow may (will) know far more details about both cams which might prove something different. IE- lazier ramps.

D

Dean1985

That crow cam won’t help you. The crane reply is the most appropriate - remember that they’re covering themselves in that email. You really need to talk to them over the phone.

You don’t need to alter the ignition system. There are plenty of salespeople out there that aren’t familiar with engine combos. You’re better off calling them and chatting to them - they’ll be able to help you more that way.

Just spoke to a guy at CamTech cams. VERY helpful as suggested.
He suggested a CT248513. Which has .511 lift.
With the current diff ratio he suggested a 2200 to 2500max stall.
He questioned whuch springs i had as well in the heads.
The spring i have, have a max net lift .487.
He said it needs to be measured and may not require other springs.
Do you have info on this sort of thing?

Crane recommended a particular spring (350$ ish and new collets) to suit said lift. (Things are getting pricey quick.

Anyone have an opinion on a Crane H284 vs Camtech CT248513?

The Camtech has more lift and requires different springs. Thats the only difference i can see.

Cheers fellas. Imhoping to order tomorrow or wednesday.

P.s i have shot an email to Camtech on their valve spring suggestions so i can get the kit from a single supplier.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you're going to spend $800 -$900 on a HD stally it would be a waste to go 2500 better off going 3000. But don't take my word for it, do some research and you should find that 3000 is the go over a 2500. Having a 3000 myself i can say there us no adverse affects that I can tell in the way of drivability. Glad I listened to the TC builder and went 3000, over a 2500.