Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do, what to do, what to do. Upgrade or warranty?

poppy bill

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf s2 SSV
Hi all, bought myself a vf2 ssv with 18 months of warranty left and would love to get a full 3" exhaust with otr air intake and dyno tune. I have heard that this could void Holden's warranty should anything go wrong with the engine. Has anyone done the upgrade and then had any difficulty with Holden warranty claim? Regards Bill

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd keep it standard until you are satisfied it's a solid engine with no issues or faults. At least six months of ownership I'd suggest. Keep an eye on the oil level during that time.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Replace could with would.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Nobody would have any grounds for major warranty claim after a tune.
Hence no 3” system, maybe a CAI.
Only one bloke ever in my life bought a harrop blower with harrop warranty on top of holden, took his R8 out trackside and promptly spun a main bearing. He was up the creek.
having said that you might as well do what you like because a new engine is $5k + $1200 r&r.
That’s about same price as mods you propose so it’s no biggie if you can afford to just swap in a new motor as the worst case scenario.
FWIW I would bypass the silly bolt-on stage dipping their toes in and go for it balls and all with VVT Cam, rod mod intake, e85 sensor, custom designed headers and maybe a 3” axle-back coz noise.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
^^ What Panhead said, and Monstar alluded to. They're pretty bullet proof engines. Ask yourself: what is the likelihood of a major engine failure, let alone one which can be attributed to a CAI, exhaust and tune occurring in the next 18 months? i'd say very low. If it were to happen, what are the consequences? Rebuild or new donk. Hardly life changing. So, low risk over all. I would add the goodies and enjoy it. But, look after it with proper warm up, frequent oil and filter changes and don't red line it in every gear for the next year and a half and you'll be golden.
I did with my L77. 66K K's later and I haven't looked back. oh and my local Holden dealer have been aware of the mod's all along, and have never once questioned a few (non engine related) warranty claims.
There's no guarantees in life, as they say. It's your call.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I am having the same thoughts though I have 5 years warranty left, but just ordered a full exhaust and want an OTR and TUNE.

also didn't want to give Walkinshaw 7K for the W375 pack

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Just do it. Cars are meant to be enjoyed. Don't stop yourself doing it because of a 0.005% chance of failure.
I did a full OTR/headers/exhaust/tune to my MSE within the first few weeks and I love my decision every day.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
This topic has been discussed on hear ad nausium. Mainly becaise it's not black and white. No doubt there's risk in modifying our cars. But it's a case of low likelihood and low to medium consequence I beleive.
A CAI, exhaust and tune, should not necessarily void your driveline warranty. However, if those mods can be proven to have caused or contributed to a driveline failure, then of course the warranty claim would, most likely, be denied. Fair enough too.
If you're yearning for an upgrade. Five years will be an awful long wait...
Just my view.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
What many others have said. My 2014 CalaisV had bolt ons and tune at 5000k. At 12000k, a Harrop blower. Now at 28000k and nothing gone wrong at all. My dealer knows and doesn't care and the only warranty claim was replacing the bottom of the drivers seat due to a defect causing sagging. Having said that, it is driven with mechanical sympathy and never sees high RPM because you don't need to with a blower.

Just bought a new Golf R 7.5 with DSG and pick up in 3 weeks so that should be something different. I don't intend to mod it but if I do, at my age I am not going to wait 5 years. Might put the Calais up for sale. Shame to see it go but I only have one undercover parking spot at home. Time will tell.