Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to do with my VB? Wreck or sell?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Hey all, just wondering what to do with my vb. It's '79 sl/e with hq 308 built for gas, runs straight gas, th400, goes well but the body is getting weary and the kids don't want it.

It's registered and I'm sure it'd pass again this year(nsw pink) with a little work. It's got till the 1/5 before it's out of reg and the wife and I have moved on to a VR SS. Still have my old ap5 I've had for near 20 years in the shed so I don't need another project. In fact the ap5 might go too as much as it'll hurt but space and pragmatism at my age must have it's say.. So should I just wreck it or try to sell it as a goer?

If I had not bought the vr we'd rereg it and still be using it so it's not a total loser, just old and in need, like me:). We do still use it, just argue about who will take the ss and I've always won:) I don't know how long that will last and maybe that's what worries me. The VR may be old to you all but the VB is the newest car I've owned before the VR, so the VR is a dream.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
depending on how much the body is becomin weary would depend on the sell, i for one, if the car was driveable and exterior condition not too bad, would sell it, even if it was only for a few hundred bucks, theres a fair load of people out there looking for a simple reliable a to b car, and they come in extremely handy, why not post sum pics and a price up in out sale section and see if anything bites? :)

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Where do u live? If ur within a few hours I'd prolly buy a VB with a 308, th400 on gas for a few hundred lol.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
depending on how much the body is becomin weary would depend on the sell, i for one, if the car was driveable and exterior condition not too bad, would sell it, even if it was only for a few hundred bucks, theres a fair load of people out there looking for a simple reliable a to b car, and they come in extremely handy, why not post sum pics and a price up in out sale section and see if anything bites? :)

That's the problem, I'd like to see it live but the motor, trans, sl/e stuff is worth more than a few hundred, not to mention the gas onto the manifold, though it is through a 2bbl adapter. I did get a qjet throttle body a few years ago to move it to but never got around to it.

The 308 was built for gas and has probably only done 60000-70000. We don''t do a lot of miles. It was 35000 old when we bought it. We bought it straight gas in 2000/1 or so. Really the 308/t400 is worth a few hundred.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Almost the other side of Au:) Lismore NSW. I'm afraid you'll travel forward in time when you drive here. Even without a DeLorean.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Dunno what but my reply to the first post is awaiting mod approval so here it is without the quote:

That's the problem, I'd like to see it live but the motor, trans, sl/e stuff is worth more than a few hundred, not to mention the gas onto the manifold, though it is through a 2bbl adapter. I did get a qjet throttle body a few years ago to move it to but never got around to it.

The 308 was built for gas and has probably only done 60000-70000. We don''t do a lot of miles. It was 35000 old when we bought it. We bought it straight gas in 2000/1 or so. Really the 308/t400 is worth a few hundred.

loopylay

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Berlina, soon to be VK SL 5.0L
If you have the time, I'd sell it.

There'd be someone who'd want it - there's not so many around these days.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
If you have the time, I'd sell it.

There'd be someone who'd want it - there's not so many around these days.

I have the time, I hope, but it runs out of reg in 2 months. I s'pose I'll try and clean it up enough to get a few greasy dollars for it's carcass but maybe selling it off to the body parts snatchers will give more return. How to make the most out of it?

Edit: How much do good panels/etc go for these days? 308/t400? 14" calais rims with good rubber bands on 'em? sl/e tacho dash?

Last edited:

Growler88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6
could probs flog it to a young dumb hoon for a decent amount if they hear what she's got. cant hurt to put it in the trading post for 1k or so, which is a pretty cheap price for a registered 308... allbeit a vb.. but kingers in worse condition are going for more so i wouldnt see why not hey?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
could probs flog it to a young dumb hoon for a decent amount if they hear what she's got. cant hurt to put it in the trading post for 1k or so, which is a pretty cheap price for a registered 308... allbeit a vb.. but kingers in worse condition are going for more so i wouldnt see why not hey?

Ah, someone from Perth! I grew up there, left in '84. Talking about hoons, Scarborough beach bottom car park was a hoot in the late '70's:) Is it still there?