Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What transmission 355

oliver689

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 355 UTE
SO GET THIS BACKING MY UTE IN THE GARAGE THE OTHER DAY AND IT SHAT REVERSE GEAR, PULLED THE T5 OUT, REVERSE GEAR ON SHAFT IF STUFFED, INCLUDING TWO OTHER GEARS:bang:, GOT PLANS FOR SUPERCHARGING SO THINKING OF BEEFIN THE DRIVELINE UP, NOW I NEED SOME ADVICE ON TRANSMISSIONS TO SUIT MY VR 355 UTE(STILL ON RUN-IN).

GOT A ROUGH QUOTE FROM MALWOOD $6800 FOR SUPPLIED NEW T56 CONVERSION,BIT MORE THAN I THOUGHT, SO TOSSING UP THE IDEA OF AN AUTO LIKE A TURBO 350 OR 400 BUT CANT FIND ANYONE WHO DOES THE CONVERSION. I WOULD LOVE TO GO T56 BUT ITS A BIT OUT OF MY BUDGET. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
If you are going to supercharge it, go Turbo 400. There isn't much needed to put a 400 in a VR V8. Really just rear crossmember, tailshaft, trans lines and do something with the shifter. The 400 will bolt straight up to the engine, just need a convertor made to suit the application. Turbo 400 would certainly be a wise choice and much cheaper & easier than the T56. Ring the Castlemaine Rod Shop, they will be able to help you with the conversion parts for a Turbo 400.