Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What triggers the 'Change Oil Soon' alert?

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi mates, the message just started coming up on my VFII - I've read how to disable it but I dont know why its coming up in the first place? I had my last service several months ago and I still have over 5,000kms until my next service - whats making it appear now?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Hi mates, the message just started coming up on my VFII - I've read how to disable it but I dont know why its coming up in the first place? I had my last service several months ago and I still have over 5,000kms until my next service - whats making it appear now?
I don't have a VF, so based on VE, pretty sure you just get message 1000 Km before scheduled service intervals as per book (say 15,000, 30,000 etc). How many Kms on the car? As far as I'm aware they don't sense oil quality as some Euros do. If your oil level is definitely good, I'd probably reset it. Being a VFII you'd be under warranty, might be worth a call to dealer and ask the question. Don't know if you got a V6 or V8 and how long you plan keeping it, but in the long term, oil changes ahead of schedule are a good thing - maybe even DIY mid way between scheduled dealer service.

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I don't have a VF, so based on VE, pretty sure you just get message 1000 Km before scheduled service intervals as per book (say 15,000, 30,000 etc). How many Kms on the car? As far as I'm aware they don't sense oil quality as some Euros do.

I have about 54,000 on the clock. Next service is due at 60,000kms so its not the 1,000km trigger - thats why Im curious as to what is causing it.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
I have about 54,000 on the clock. Next service is due at 60,000kms so its not the 1,000km trigger - thats why Im curious as to what is causing it.
Hi mate the dealership just probably forgot to reset it at last service. Same thing happened on mine

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Some cars have sensor thingies that decide the oil’s degraded enough to need a change ... it’s not that, is it?

If not I’d suspect the dealer just forgot to reset it last time ... we always do our services based on time rather than distance (MY14 car with 20k kms on it), and haven’t yet seen the service-reminder appear.

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi mate the dealership just probably forgot to reset it at last service. Same thing happened on mine

I had my last service done around 45,000kms - how come Ive been able to drive 10,000kms without the message appearing?

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Some cars have sensor thingies that decide the oil’s degraded enough to need a change ... it’s not that, is it?

Is this 'oil degredation sensor' a feature of VF commodores?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I don't have a VF, so based on VE, pretty sure you just get message 1000 Km before scheduled service intervals as per book (say 15,000, 30,000 etc). How many Kms on the car? As far as I'm aware they don't sense oil quality as some Euros do. If your oil level is definitely good, I'd probably reset it. Being a VFII you'd be under warranty, might be worth a call to dealer and ask the question. Don't know if you got a V6 or V8 and how long you plan keeping it, but in the long term, oil changes ahead of schedule are a good thing - maybe even DIY mid way between scheduled dealer service.

happens on the VZ too , about 1000 out from scheduled service , perhaps the VF has a sensor in there somewhere to check the oil viscosity .

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I don't know if the VF it the same as the VE but the VE also had oil life which was time based, so even if you only did 2000K's, the change oil warning would still pop up once the oil was 12-18 months old. Not sure on exactly how the timing worked. VF might do something similar.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
I had my last service done around 45,000kms - how come Ive been able to drive 10,000kms without the message appearing?
? How many klms did it have on it the previous service before the 45000