Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What triggers the 'Change Oil Soon' alert?

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I was thinking perhaps there is something written in programming, that say if low average speeds or perhaps number of hours the engines been operating that the message is related to operating conditions. I'm not sure what is written in owners book, but with extended service intervals like 12 months 15,000km that there are operating conditions where the service interval should be shorter than specified in the handbook. I haven't heard of a variable warning in respect of Holden before. I'd give the dealer a call, but no doubt they'll say bring it in.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I had my last service several months ago and I still have over 5,000kms until my next service

How long is several months? If it’s around 8mths, then it’s probably a time based warning rather than kms. 9mths OR 15000s, whichever comes first..

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Our diesel cruze has the oil life monitor stuff. Its just a calculation afaik.
Takes into account kms, avg speed, time etc. Just reset it.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Time Based, used a good write up on here to do a reset. I only drive 5,000 km per year in mine...But I still do oil each timed service interval.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I had my last service done around 45,000kms - how come Ive been able to drive 10,000kms without the message appearing?
When you reset the service it will just come up at what it says in the book, so if it says 12months X amount of KM then that is what will come up on the dash, so if you change the oil at 45,000KM it does not care when you have done the service, it will just come up as directed by the book service.
So it does not recognize when you do the service at all, that info is all just pre set that it displays only.

It only displays set figures that were programed into it from factory, it's only job is to warn idiots that the service is due, like one just sees such come up and then you just book it into your dealer with in the last month or KM that it displaying.
It's an idiot thing for fools mainly to wake them up, because if they do not see such a display most fools would just forget about servicing, like many do, the brain box just does not understand what servicing is about at all. many a engine has been destroyed that way with 3yo engines totally f ed or when it ran just out of oil, nowadays we do not have Service stations that once did customer service looking at your oil level etc for idiots.

So all you have to do is reset it.
You wright down in the book when you have done the service still and remember to do it.