Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What VF parts are you stockpiling for later use?

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
naaah... not really (about $180 the set of 4 chrome ones from memory)

don't know what they are worth these days, but I saw a 'black' chrome set
on eBay from an auto parts place... $299 the set of 4, bit exxie!

closer to $500 for the set of 4 chrome ones now, and i have to get chrome as my redline is all chrome around the roof gutters, so would look terrible with the plain black.

Edit : $495 is the cheapest sedan ones in chrome, other listings over $500

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
closer to $500 for the set of 4 chrome ones now, and i have to get chrome as my redline is all chrome around the roof gutters, so would look terrible with the plain black.

Edit : $495 is the cheapest sedan ones in chrome, other listings over $500

.... don't think there will be many buyers at that price

can get a full 'wagon' set in CHROME for far less Priced at $299

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Some of these lists are getting quite long. At $200-500 for each item, perhaps cheaper to buy a second whole VF and set aside in a air-conditioned bubble tent?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It may be easier to simply have a spare car parked on blocks in your garage, probably more cost effective than buying for most eventualities as well :p

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
As someone else has already mentioned, Murphy’s law says something like - a part kept on hand is usually the part that is never needed! :)

I can well understand people keeping parts as there is a fear that those parts might become difficult to obtain, however it can be very hard to work out what parts will actually be needed, and whether they might be available from aftermarket sources in the future. Do I stock pile 40 parts at $500 each today, or pay $1,000 per part in the future for the parts I actually need? Who knows?

I don’t think that the parts shortage issue will be confined the the VF as once Holden is completely gone, all Holden parts will be aftermarket or nothing.

The good news is that many of the VF parts are global. The electrical system was ‘global A’ so many parts from other global A vehicles many well be interchangeable? Also, the drivetrain, particularly for the V8s, are widely used in many GM models so I don’t think that there will be any issues with ‘go parts’ as such. There is already a large range third party parts available for the V8s.

The bad news is that GM has announced that it intends to cease producing petrol engine cars by 2035 - 14 years away. while GM probably won’t have a significant presence in Australia in the immediate future, it is indicative of that automobile manufacturers generally will soon be investing in manufacturing electric drivetrain vehicles. The market for, and value of, ICE cars may rapidly diminish In the next decade or so?

So, the $64,000 question is whether to invest money in a stock parts now, or hold off and buy ‘as needed‘ - wherever that be aftermarket parts or another car?

Personally, I don’t have enough spare money to risk ‘investing’ in a stock pile of ‘maybe needed’ car parts, so I’ll probably take the risk being at the mercy of the quality and availability of aftermarket suppliers or the high cost of bespoke manufactured parts. At least this will give me some flexibility should automotive technology rapidly shift away from the ICE.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
As someone else has already mentioned, Murphy’s law says something like - a part kept on hand is usually the part that is never needed! :)

I can well understand people keeping parts as there is a fear that those parts might become difficult to obtain, however it can be very hard to work out what parts will actually be needed, and whether they might be available from aftermarket sources in the future. Do I stock pile 40 parts at $500 each today, or pay $1,000 per part in the future for the parts I actually need? Who knows?

I don’t think that the parts shortage issue will be confined the the VF as once Holden is completely gone, all Holden parts will be aftermarket or nothing.

The good news is that many of the VF parts are global. The electrical system was ‘global A’ so many parts from other global A vehicles many well be interchangeable? Also, the drivetrain, particularly for the V8s, are widely used in many GM models so I don’t think that there will be any issues with ‘go parts’ as such. There is already a large range third party parts available for the V8s.

The bad news is that GM has announced that it intends to cease producing petrol engine cars by 2035 - 14 years away. while GM probably won’t have a significant presence in Australia in the immediate future, it is indicative of that automobile manufacturers generally will soon be investing in manufacturing electric drivetrain vehicles. The market for, and value of, ICE cars may rapidly diminish In the next decade or so?

So, the $64,000 question is whether to invest money in a stock parts now, or hold off and buy ‘as needed‘ - wherever that be aftermarket parts or another car?

Personally, I don’t have enough spare money to risk ‘investing’ in a stock pile of ‘maybe needed’ car parts, so I’ll probably take the risk being at the mercy of the quality and availability of aftermarket suppliers or the high cost of bespoke manufactured parts. At least this will give me some flexibility should automotive technology rapidly shift away from the ICE.

Some of us seasoned owner know what flogs out tho. Like the side windscreen moulds, the rubber roof moulds, high touch items like steering wheels and manual knobs. There really is no aftermarket for many of these (think trying to find a airbag type steering wheel that isn’t OEM for a VE for example...ever seen one?) These are the parts i’m focusing on, other components will always be available (shocks, springs, bushes etc are all available and way better than OEM if you buy the good stuff)

But yeah i’m not about to buy random stuff just for the sake of it.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I've been collecting stuff purely for if i sell my wagon , so far i have collected front and tailgate trim in green and clear wrapped as spares so a future buyer doesn't have concerns to replace them . I have also collected full black trim except rear quarter windows if a buyer doesn't like my green , i will sell them if a buyer wants to go back to chrome . I have bought worn parts such as tailgate internal trim , i have new wiper cowling and lower black trim (material) and battery cover as mine has a battery pack for my dash cams zip tied to it ,i also have a new cargo mat ready to go . I have some X-Force 3" stainless polished twin tips ready to put on , but how i ended up with them is another story . I am still looking for a driver side door card as my sweaty arm has destroyed the alcantra and will probably by some bottom kick trim . I just bought a driver side seat so i could repair a graze i put in the map pocket of the passenger seat currently being fixed now so i have spare motors and switches for my driver side seat . I plan to buy a cruise control switch buttons as i constantly use cruise control.
EDIT : Black door trim is cheaper than chrome but front bumper trim is dearer , also its cheaper to buy full black gutter drip trim with clips than it is to buy just the clips o_O

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did i post this in VE? i feel like its been moved from VF to VE

Can admin move my thread to VF please?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Did i post this in VE? i feel like its been moved from VF to VE

Can admin move my thread to VF please?