Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What wagon or SUV would you buy for 20k?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The Forester's are known for burning oil. Brother in laws work have one and it burns over 4L between oil changes.

That’s about perfect. At that rate of oil use it won’t need an oil change at the scheduled service as it would have already been replaced!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They run 0w, which I think is part of the problem if not most of the problem.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They run 0w, which I think is part of the problem if not most of the problem.
Agree. I'd be changing that very quickly if I bought one. Up to at least 5w30. On the freeway the turbo becomes noisy in the Santa running 5w30. It sounds much happier on 5w40. Different engine of course but as I've said before I don't trust the super thin oils.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
We've had no trouble with our CVT and have put 100k on it ourselves and bought it with 19k on it.
The Forester's are known for burning oil. Brother in laws work have one and it burns over 4L between oil changes.
It's a hit and miss thing with Subaru reliability... Some people have run these cars to astronomical kilometres while others have had so many issues with them...

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's a hit and miss thing with Subaru reliability... Some people have run these cars to astronomical kilometres while others have had so many issues with them...
Probably another case of bad maintenance syndrome. Not enough oil changes or fanging the car for 10,000km of short trips running 0-20 oil. I'm convinced the worst combination of all is the very common case of short trips to school for 6 months building up an awesome case of oil dilution then loading it up for a 10 hour trip for the summer holidays. Why would you service it before the hols, the 15,000km service warning hasn't started flashing yet. KA BOOM.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I'm still committed to the commodore for now but it's getting older and the ks are getting up there so there's no knowing how long it will last.
The next car could be a late model VE VF if it's not crazy expensive or something else.
So in the something else category are things like a Forrester, CX-5, RAV4, XV, don't really know.
What medium size cars fit 5 medium size people and some luggage, last forever, economical,, and are easy to maintain? Bonus points for AWD :)
Most will laught at me but we have 2 MD mondeo Diesel wagons in the house, Stupid economy 5l per 100 pleanty of go and drive really nice, the titanium has all the bells and wistles you can need. Lad has the base model but that even has sat nav etc. Misses work has a fleet of over 50 mondeos and very relaible most do 200k in 5years.

Id never bought one until we drove one interstate for a big trip they really drive so nice and the economy is amazing.

Parts seem easy as popular in europe and tesltra had a big fleet in aust.

Sir cumference

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive wagon 5.0
Passat R36 / 3.6 highline

Sir cumference

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive wagon 5.0

Attachments

• VOLKSWAGENPassatR36Variant-4177_4.jpg
    VOLKSWAGENPassatR36Variant-4177_4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 69

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Most will laught at me but we have 2 MD mondeo Diesel wagons in the house, Stupid economy 5l per 100 pleanty of go and drive really nice, the titanium has all the bells and wistles you can need. Lad has the base model but that even has sat nav etc. Misses work has a fleet of over 50 mondeos and very relaible most do 200k in 5years.

Id never bought one until we drove one interstate for a big trip they really drive so nice and the economy is amazing.

Parts seem easy as popular in europe and tesltra had a big fleet in aust.
They were all the rage 5 or so years ago. I'll keep it in mind as a left field possibility.