Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would happen to Holden without GM?

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Calm down this is just a hypothetical (at the moment).

On SBS they have a news show from the states and from time to time it has a story about GM's financial woes. Now the question, what or how would holden survive/change if the parent company was to dissapear or become serverly affected.

Now before people think that GM is too big to fail remember Enron.

From what I have seen and heard Holden is one of the few divisions to be doing well, so one would imagine that it could survive but would be hard placed for certain parts.

Mike

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
I sort of know, but really don't want to admit it....

Holden doesn't make enough cars to make a big profit difference for the USA parent company...neither does Ford. The would look to small areas like this to save money if things got really dire in the USA, and wouldn't care too much if they shut it down. Look at Mitsubishi...you've gotta admit, they make some great cars, but if Japan decides, as it well might in the next couple of years, that it isn;t worth the bother, it will be closed down here, no matter how good a company the local concern is.

Basically put: Australia isn't big enough and never will be to be anything but a charity case for the worlds big car makers...

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
yeah i think of mitsu aswell, the 380 was the last chance for them and theyve only just managed to pull up...so i think holden would be in the same boat, make something good or die...

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i would hopefully think that holden would bail out of gm, by themselfs out and it's all seperated adn all is good
but who knows, anything is possible

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Garth said:
i would hopefully think that holden would bail out of gm, by themselfs out and it's all seperated adn all is good

If the unthinkable happened I suspect that is what they would try to do. I would hope that unlike Mitusbihi, Holden would be able to sell enough home grown product, but it would severly limit their model range.

Mike

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
I'm pretty sure that successful GM branches such as Saab(?) and Opel would buy Holden Australia out, as its successful Australia and also respected in many middle eastern countries. The new Alloytec engine is a big investment they plan to use world wide.

GM is in finacial woes, so they are looking to cut costs. Many US jobs will go, as will varieties of engines etc, but I think they will eventually have to accept a buy out.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Possibly....but even then, they would be subsidising a company making a vast range of cars for a country that has as many people as most overseas large cities...

Most of Holden's range is made in Korea now anyway from what I have seen coming up...

We would, if it happened, probably see the death of local manufacture, and the take over of imports with local badging, sold through existing dealerships. I can't think of a "large car" from overseas, but if push came to shove, that is what would happen. Goodbye Commodore, goodbye Falcon, in fact bye to any large rear-driver...as well as probably Mitsubishi.

Holden and Ford couldn't pull off a "make or break" car in a country this small. I doubt Mitsubishi with the admittedly great 380 will pull it off either....

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
If GM removed themselves from Holden then Holden would definetly fall face first into the mud.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Garth said:

Very hard to do when you are a 100% owned by the parent. Essentially you would need to find a buyer that would put up enough $$$ to keep it going. Highly unlikely as they would need to find good supplies of components such as gear boxes, irs systems, cars to import into Australia etc etc etc for Holden to draw upon.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Wombat said:
Holden and Ford couldn't pull off a "make or break" car in a country this small. I doubt Mitsubishi with the admittedly great 380 will pull it off either....

Ford just had one with the BA Falcon! The VN was the same for Holden (a few years back now though)

Reaper