Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do next...

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So find a HP tuner who can disable fuel flex sensor no signal?

What else could a HP tuner do to the car whilst I'm there ? :)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Also how hard would it be to source a new engine harness? A part of me feels it might be a dodgey plug or wire... I do know my maf wiring doesn't sit stable as the locking clip for the 8 wires is loose/broken...I've cable ties it down to keep it still

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
So find a HP tuner who can disable fuel flex sensor no signal?

What else could a HP tuner do to the car whilst I'm there ? :)
As the name suggests "tuner" it does a multitude of things. :D

Also how hard would it be to source a new engine harness? A part of me feels it might be a dodgey plug or wire... I do know my maf wiring doesn't sit stable as the locking clip for the 8 wires is loose/broken...I've cable ties it down to keep it still
Don't know you would have to ring around the dealers, ebay & google to see what you can source but bottom line the car will not run correctly until the flex fuel code is fixed regardless of what you do.
Take a hint fix the code before throwing any more money at it as you might be surprised.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Gut feelings and maybes won’t resolve the issue. You’ll just be loading the parts cannon.

A second harness could introduce new faults if it has its own quirks.

You would have to test every connection, every plug for continuity.

Clean all the harness earths would be a better place to start. One slightly corroded earth surface and a world of gremlins can start, all for the sake of poor earthing. I use scotchbrite and CO contact cleaner. Sometimes I just use a small nylon brush. Sometimes a brass one if it’s bad.

The VE isn’t new anymore. Just takes water under the washer or eyelet on the earth, or down the thread and it can start.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wouldn’t be concerned or anxious removing cam sensors or actuators. They’ve always come out easy enough for me. Seals can be bought if one breaks. I’ve been lucky enough for it to never have happen and never had issues with leaking after. However, note which way they are facing before removing. Take a photo.

I always clean the seals anyway. Spotlessly clean.

Give the cam sensors a good clean. Paper towel and throttle body cleaner. Might need an old tooth brush if they are really grot.

The actuators, I clean them out with throttle body cleaner. Put back in. I’ve put oil back in them and also not put oil in them. Never made a difference. Some people do add oil.

You can test the actuators.
Not a Alloytec but is GM and these actuators are pretty much the same as Alloytec, just look different externally.

I have been able to make them click with a 9v battery. 12v is better of course.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Some brilliant information there Fu Manchu I love how you've shared a YouTube video there too just a tremendous effort

2 new oil seals have arrived so I can half play around a bit

I've always wanted to know how to test with multimeter

My maf plug clip is definitely broken and does lock the wiring in too well can it be replaced at that end instead of the whole harness. Didn't like how the fuel pressure sensor plug was sitting either

Will definitely go around with some cleaner on all the plugs and sensors great idea

Found a HP tuner guy in port Adelaide too might help when he rings back haha

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Both plugs can be replaced. It’s easy but if you’ve never done it before, could be tricky.

Each plug has a particular way of releasing the pins from the plastic housing. You need the special tool to do it and each plug type needs a different tool. They are easy to get.

Plugs can be sourced here. The MAF plug is a 4pin or 5 pin from memory. Anyway you’ll spot it here
https://www.efisolutions.com.au/connectors/bosch-connectors/

You won’t need to cut any wires. Just release the pins and and install them in the new connector (installing the connector doesn’t require special tools)

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So I found a local HP tuner guy to disable the ecu trying to think I have a fuel flex sensor in my ve (with a 2014 lfx in it)

Turns out he wants $700 just to do that

And for $1200 he'll tune the car and do the fuel trims and the little better response tricks they can do to ecu

Bahahaha ok the I'd love $1200 an hour in my job too

Anyways can I HP tuner it myself in anyway? The tool is probably cheaper than that?

Or I actually install a fuel flex sensor in it, and enable E85 properly