Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What would you do next...

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
This code has returned too in permanent codes, it went away after I did injectors a month ago...just noticed it back again now...

This code earlier led me to buy a new fuel flex sensor then when I got under to change it....it didn't even have a fuel flex sensor

Attachments

• IMG_20231004_194816.jpg
    IMG_20231004_194816.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 54

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Have not come across that code AA4J before but that doesn't mean it's not correct just never come across it.
ABG4 & AA6L I have seen.
Interesting P0178 code it's a flex fuel code generated by the ECU but you have no flex fuel sensor!
But the LFX is a flex fuel motor and the ECU is programmed for flex fuel.

Last edited:

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So you'd expect an ABG4 or AA6L on an LFX in a VE?

Also I got hold of a spare cam actuator solenoid....and I notice there are 4 of these in the front of the motor. So I'd like to put the new one through each and maybe find the fault there....BUT....these have oil seals around them and the other day I half ripped a seal and actually had to drive it home for 45 minutes long drive....didn't leak strangely at all

Anyways are these seals one use only because I bought some new ones but I fear I'm going to rip more seals popping these cam solenoids out during testing...

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you'd expect an ABG4 or AA6L on an LFX in a VE?
No as I said those ones I have seen but Holden used so many it's hard to keep up.
Anyways are these seals one use only because I bought some new ones but I fear I'm going to rip more seals popping these cam solenoids out during testing...
Most seals are one use only unless you are careful and lucky which counts me out.

I think you are going to find the P0178 code needs to be fixed before going any further as it can have a huge impact on performance and economy.
So basically if you don't have a flex fuel sensor that means the LLT was not capable of flex fuel and the LFX ECU is looking for the signal from the sensor which you don't have.

If you know anyone with a HPTuner you can get the Flex Fuel turned off to eliminate the sensor and code and if I was a betting man I think your problems would disappear. That is how a few of the mod guys are doing LFX into LLT but it's supposed to be a big secret so don't tell anyone :D Oh bugger I just did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I rang Holden's service dealer...said there's not much they could do :'(

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
I rang Holden's service dealer...said there's not much they could do :'(
Ring around the dyno shops etc around your area one of them will have a HP tuner and can disable it for you or the alternative and I would not waste my time and energy on is fitting a sensor. Even Holdens were very quiet about dropping flex fuel support in 2015.
If you want to go down the fitting here is a video it's for a V8 but similar for a V6

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what signal does the flex fuel send to ecu
if a simple 5v on or off, or a linear scale,
easy to fake

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
what signal does the flex fuel send to ecu
if a simple 5v on or off, or a linear scale,
easy to fake
Don't know never looked to be honest but it does measure the amount of ethanol in the fuel and adjusts the timing accordingly so I would imagine it would be a liner scale not a simple on off.
Would have to work out where it needs to be for non ethanol fuel and make the circuit.
Bit of homework for someone if they want to do it or probably cost $150 for 10 minutes with a HP tuner.
I am inherently lazy so I would take the latter option.