Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whats a 4cyl VB wagon worth?

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
cutting away the sides on the standard aircleaner body made a noticealble difference to mine.Streetmachine did some dyno testing on a blue 202 and found a 14kw gain from the same modification. Also replacing the hydraulic lifters and reseating the valves made a noticable difference, that was at 120000klm back in the days of leaded fuel.

yer mate ive heard of doing that. i got my hands on a air cleaner assembly off a 202 it had a larger intake on it then the standard item.
before that i was running cold air intake, i had sum piping going down to the front of the stone tray,ran it like that 4 ages then decided to check my air filter to find it was full of leaves dead insects and 1 or 2 cigerrete butts....:yeah:. i really didnt notice any gain in power with either setup

308vk calais. u mentioned about a turbo model.ive never heard of it being offered as an option on the 4's but i believe there was a factory turbo option on the vh 6's. there is no record of any being sold and there isnt alot of info on em..

Secki

Reaction score
Website
www.australianlawenforcement.com.au
Members Ride
VH Wagon SLX 253
I had 2 of these 4 cyl VC's, one was on gas, they werent a bad car at all the auto one was a bit slow, but the 4 speed manual one wasn't to bad at all, it was on gas and went pretty good for a 1.9 litre.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
308vk calais. u mentioned about a turbo model.ive never heard of it being offered as an option on the 4's but i believe there was a factory turbo option on the vh 6's. there is no record of any being sold and there isnt alot of info on em..

Never ever a factory turbo on the VBs-VKs, only after market.

I think CDT did most if not all turbo 173s and a few starfire 4s. However they didn't make many and they didn't sell all that well either.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
found this info on a calais turbo turbo thread....

"Holden did not make a commo turbo before the VL, but HDT did "improve" a select few VC 202's with a turbo. I remember reading about this in a mag - never seen one in real life. apparently VERY few were made (10 from memory), and almost unheard of too. Have fun tracking any of them down - or any information for that matter"

"My mistake above - it seems that Garrett made turbo kits for the Red and Blue 202's in the late 70's early 80's, and apparently some dealers put them
on VC's before selling them as a Dealer Option (hence sfa info about them)"

i cant find any info on a factory turbo option,but yer as u said sl/enut there were sum aftermarket turbo kits made by garret for them...
i allways wondered how the starfire would go with a hairdryer strapped to the side of it..:)

JAYSE

Reaction score
im guessing a vh 4cylinder sedan would be around the same price range

(im looking for one) and trying to get prices

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey jayse.. i saw a vh 4 banger on the trading post for 1200 or something. rego and all........and allso saw one in just cars for 5000g but it only had 21000ks from new. so yer really depends on condition and how much the guy selling wants to get rid of it i guees...

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey jayse did u have any luck in trackin a 4 banger down?? my brother is chasing one .there are a bit to difficult to come across.

metalfossil

Reaction score
memories

I hope I'm not stealing this thread too much.

I just had to comment as I owned a VH 4cylinder. I bought it (brand new)because at the time I had lost my licence (4th time) in my Monaro. Mine was a 5 speed manual and with it, I did finally manage to get a full licence.

I do recall an article in Wheels or Modern Motor at the time by Peter Wheret stating that Holden was supposed to use the 2.6 from Mitsubishi/Chrysler but the deal fell through. He even had a conversion in the same mag. Got it at home somewhere.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope I'm not stealing this thread too much.

I just had to comment as I owned a VH 4cylinder. I bought it (brand new)because at the time I had lost my licence (4th time) in my Monaro. Mine was a 5 speed manual and with it, I did finally manage to get a full licence.

I do recall an article in Wheels or Modern Motor at the time by Peter Wheret stating that Holden was supposed to use the 2.6 from Mitsubishi/Chrysler but the deal fell through. He even had a conversion in the same mag. Got it at home somewhere.

Thats intresting mate. with the way holden uses other manufacture's engine's ,gearbox's etc i would believe it. would be intresting to see the article if you got it .

metalfossil

Reaction score
Thats intresting mate. with the way holden uses other manufacture's engine's ,gearbox's etc i would believe it. would be intresting to see the article if you got it .

I still have it somewhere in a box full of motoring mags from the late seventies/early eighties. I'll see if I can ferret it out.