Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's broken?

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Hey guys,

A few days ago I had the strangest thing happen.

I took off fairly aggressively in 1st gear and the car started shaking violently and making a loud banging noise.

The thing felt like I was in a billy cart going down a flight of stairs.

I quickly pulled over expecting to see various fluids and pieces of engine/gearbox everywhere but upon visual inspection everything looked normal.

Needing to get home, I reluctantly started the car and it fired up normally and was idling smoothly. I gave it a few revs and it was smooth as butter. I put the thing into gear and took off normally and drove 400km home without issue and haven't had any issues since.

Fwiw, I had the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and rear main seal done about a week ago.

Any ideas what on earth happened?

Cheers

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Wheelspin ?

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
No, it definately wasn't wheelspin related.

Edit: Just to add, I have been down some pretty gnarly corrugated roads which rattle you to your core and the violent shaking this thing did was much much worse. And the banging was LOUD. It felt like a catastrophic failure of some sort which is why I'm confused. Nothing seems broken?

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hey guys,

A few days ago I had the strangest thing happen.

I took off fairly aggressively in 1st gear and the car started shaking violently and making a loud banging noise.

The thing felt like I was in a billy cart going down a flight of stairs.

I quickly pulled over expecting to see various fluids and pieces of engine/gearbox everywhere but upon visual inspection everything looked normal.

Needing to get home, I reluctantly started the car and it fired up normally and was idling smoothly. I gave it a few revs and it was smooth as butter. I put the thing into gear and took off normally and drove 400km home without issue and haven't had any issues since.

Fwiw, I had the clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and rear main seal done about a week ago.

Any ideas what on earth happened?

Cheers
Bit out of left field, but there wasn’t something caught in your wheels was there? Or maybe a loose brake calliper or something? Just a thought. Probably a daft one:)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Centre bearing and axle tramp.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Thanks for the replies.

I know the brakes will need doing soon and the suspension is getting a bit old and tired.

I think I'm going to book it in for a Brakes, Steering and Suspension check and go from there.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Somewhat unrelated, but what's everyones go to tyre brand these days?

Looking for a durable touring tyre in 235/45r17.

snicklefritz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Ute Series III
Pilot Sport 4s?
Probably more of a sport tyre than I need but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm currently leaning towards a set of BFGoodrich Advantage Control's but not sure if they're any good.