Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats cheap but safe way to lower my car?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Hey all,

I'm getting new wheels put on my car this weekend but i am looking into some options on lowering my car. Once i have the funds ill be going for a decent set of Coilovers but at the moment i just want something that will get me by. I've been looking into getting a set of king springs but i'm not sure what would be a good height and how expensive it will be, i'm also trying to keep the cost under $1000 if thats possible??

Cheers.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
If your budget is $1k it wouldn't be much more to get coilovers. You'd be better off saving the cash and just getting the coilovers done. If you're dead set on getting something done now, keep an eye on Facebook, there's always people selling lowered springs and shocks. I lowered my old SSV with second hand springs and shocks for a couple of hundred.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
If your budget is $1k it wouldn't be much more to get coilovers. You'd be better off saving the cash and just getting the coilovers done. If you're dead set on getting something done now, keep an eye on Facebook, there's always people selling lowered springs and shocks. I lowered my old SSV with second hand springs and shocks for a couple of hundred.

Alright awesome will have to get my eye out. Also with the Utes can you run coilovers all round on them or can you not run them in the rear, its just someone was trying to tell me that i cant run coilovers in the rear but i swore i've seen people to it?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I haven't heard of anyone not being able to run coilovers in a ute.

Just don't go too low in the back if you carry stuff. SSL front and SSSL rears should be fine. Have a look at other ute threads on here, that will give you an idea on what to use.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The rear suspension units on a ute are non-adjustable coilovers...

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Depends on what you want to do with it. If it's a show pony that's never used for work and you want it on the cheap, you can reuse standard shocks and go superlow springs for a small drop. Much lower and you'll need to swap shocks as well so you may as well save and do it once.

If you ever put weight in the back I'd recommend not lowering. I've had almost half a ton in mine at standard height and it sits fairly level with minimal gap between tyre and guard - I wouldn't want to have it droop on lowered suspension/have no travel and drive like ****.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Why not go rear coilovers and front spring/shock?
That will cost about $1000 or less, just go ssl or sssl king springs in the front and some xyz or tein coil overs in the rear

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Why not go rear coilovers and front spring/shock?
That will cost about $1000 or less, just go ssl or sssl king springs in the front and some xyz or tein coil overs in the rear
Thinking of just going for king springs. Is ssl goong to be a good height for a car being daily driven?