Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats cheap but safe way to lower my car?

Corey 'Fishman'

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore S. 2001
Shop around on ebay dude i got super low king springs and sports monroe shocks pretty damn cheap all brand new you'd be suprised give it a go

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I think using the SSL on the front makes the car look too high in the front when used in conjunction with SSSL in the rear.

I have fully adjustable coilovers front and rear on my VF2 and it’s the easy way to get the ride height exactly how you wish.

Springs and shocks is a good cheaper alternative though and this is what I did with my last Ute.

I’ve shown these photos before – this is my VE which is the same platform as the VF for this example.

It has 20 inch rims with 255 wide tyres on the front and 295 on the rear and it doesn’t scrape.

The rear guards have been rolled.

It is fitted with King Springs – Heavy Duty SSSL front and rear.

I had them fitted with shocks for under a $1000.

I used it once to help a mate move house without any scraping problems.

If I was to fit Kings again I wouldn’t use the Heavy Duty springs as I don’t really need them as the only thing I throw in the back these days is my dog.

I’d go for standard SSSL front and rear.

I did get some scraping of the center section of the exhaust due to the 3 inch system and 4 into 1’s.

IMG_2121d.jpg

dIMG_2199.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
IMG_1913.JPG
Ive fitted tein coilovers to mine, only thing I found was that I don't have as much adjustment on the fronts to get it as low at the front as the rear. The fronts are wound down to the lowest they can go and the rear has about another 10mm lower they could go but my tyre to guard gap is a little higher in the front. Im really happy with the ride and handling though. I was just a bit disappointed that I can get the rear really low but not the front...
I've been told that tein have done this so that the vehicle will have the legal 100mm clearance at the lowest setting at the front.
It would be interesting to know what the case is with other brand of coilovers and something to keep in mind if you do decide to shop around for coilovers...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
View attachment 190741 Ive fitted tein coilovers to mine, only thing I found was that I don't have as much adjustment on the fronts to get it as low at the front as the rear. The fronts are wound down to the lowest they can go and the rear has about another 10mm lower they could go but my tyre to guard gap is a little higher in the front. Im really happy with the ride and handling though. I was just a bit disappointed that I can get the rear really low but not the front...
I've been told that tein have done this so that the vehicle will have the legal 100mm clearance at the lowest setting at the front.
It would be interesting to know what the case is with other brand of coilovers and something to keep in mind if you do decide to shop around for coilovers...

This is mine.

I’ve only got a few mm left in the front and much like yours I can still go much lower at the rear.

KW V3

IMG_3861_zpsxsv7toy6.jpg

H

harrop.senator

Unsure about the vf but kings offer an extra heavy duty pair of lowered rear springs to compensate for big weights with the older utes.

Id had pedders lowered and standard ute springs in mine with hd shocks and it was as useless as tits on a bull at load carrying. The pedders were 300lbs/inch from memory the kings extra heavy duty are 600-1000 lbs/inch progressive.

I paid $160 on trade through veales and matching fronts were $115. If youve got a little mechanical knowledge go buy some spring compressors and change them out yourself and you'll get change from $350 including the wheel alignement .

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
I think using the SSL on the front makes the car look too high in the front when used in conjunction with SSSL in the rear.

I have fully adjustable coilovers front and rear on my VF2 and it’s the easy way to get the ride height exactly how you wish.

Springs and shocks is a good cheaper alternative though and this is what I did with my last Ute.

I’ve shown these photos before – this is my VE which is the same platform as the VF for this example.

It has 20 inch rims with 255 wide tyres on the front and 295 on the rear and it doesn’t scrape.

The rear guards have been rolled.

It is fitted with King Springs – Heavy Duty SSSL front and rear.

I had them fitted with shocks for under a $1000.

I used it once to help a mate move house without any scraping problems.

If I was to fit Kings again I wouldn’t use the Heavy Duty springs as I don’t really need them as the only thing I throw in the back these days is my dog.

I’d go for standard SSSL front and rear.

I did get some scraping of the center section of the exhaust due to the 3 inch system and 4 into 1’s.

IMG_2121d.jpg

dIMG_2199.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

Hey panhead, do you remember what width and offset you were running front and rear on this ute?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hey panhead, do you remember what width and offset you were running front and rear on this ute?

I had the rims made up in the US and shipped over, they are a Forged 2 piece with custom offsets specified by me.

I originally had them made for my VE Clubsport to clear the stock AP Racing brakes but when they arrived I thought they’d look better on the Ute.

The front offset is very conservative and if I was to have another set made I’d go for something like a +35.

Or better still a 20 x 9 with a +40 or +35 offset.

The rear I'd keep as is as it allows me to fit a 295 tyre without any scrubbing.

Of course when looking at these offsets it's important you take the centre design into account to ensure brake caliper clearance.

These centres are designed for big brakes.

Front

RIM: 20 x 8.5 – offset +45
TYRE: 255/35R20

Rear

RIM: 20 x 10 – offset +50
TYRE: 295/30R20