Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats It Worth? 4spd M20

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
HI all,

I currently have a Aussie 4 spd M20 gearbox in my VK in about 3 weeks my new engine arives and im bolting a 4 spd on the back of it.

What is a very good condition M20 worth secondhand complete with bellhousing, + spare bell housing? It had a full reco 2 years ago I rebuilt the linkages last week.

I was thinking about $400 does it sound fair?

scott

G

grover

nah mate they just arent worth that sort of money anymore.$150-$200 at the most.if it was a m21 and a v8 one you would still be pushing to get $400.i'd pay $400 for a toploader or similiar but not a m21.my opinion anyway.

grover

G

Grantis1976

You can get a M20 for pocket change, but if you want one thats been fully recoe'd, so you dont need to rip it out in a weeks time, $450 - $500 will be about rite.
If your prepared to spend that sort of money, I would suggest going a 5spd (T5)
M21 was the optional "heavy duty"???? box for those with a heavy foot, or V8, but I have personaly had the pleasure of distroying one behind a mild 6.
5spd is stronger, more economical, factory option - parts shouldnt be a prob., stronger clutch setup too!

Good Luck mate, let us know how ya go !

G

grover

i think he wants to sell one grant not buy.im guessing he meant to type 5 speed not 4 speed with his new engine.
t5 certainly wasnt an option with the straight six,m21 wasnt really any stronger than m20,it just had better ratios.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I might give a couple of wreckers a call as well to find out how much i can sell it for, it is a good box with good bearings. M20 is the same as M21 cept different input shaft and 1st gear ratio. This box started life as am M21 I had a 6cyl saft put in when it went in my car.

I have just rebuilt a borgwarner 5spd for my car it goes in with the new engine. It would have been nice to have an extra $400 to put towards some extras.

cheers
Scott

G

grover

no,m21 shaft wont go in an m20,unless you also change the cluster,turning it into an m20,but why would anyone do that?your box was probably a v8 m20,came out behind 253,308 got the m21,as did xu1's.1st,2nd and 3rd are all different ratios in the m21.m21's had either 1 or 2 grooves machined in the input shaft over the spline and different ratio/pitch gear on it.