Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the best holden for a 'cheap' project car ?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Stealthy

He's right. NSW is quite different to some other states. Installing a non standard engine is ok provided the original maximum factory engine size is not exceeded. An exception provides for reconditioning, where the maximum engine size may be exceeded due to boring etc.

The only provision would be that the original braking and suspension systems are upgraded where necessary to match the brakes and suspensions offered by the manufacturer for the largest engine option.

In an early model, upgrading these systems is easy and these days, brakes and suspensions can be far better than the original factory specs.

As for a cheap project car, most Holdens qualify, but the older "classics" are no longer cheap to purchase. My avatar was a 350 GTS Monaro I restored during the late 80's. I got the shell for nix, but to put it on the road twenty years ago cost $8,000, doing most of the work myself. Unforttunately, classic car values were'nt all that great back then and I eventually sold it for $5,000. The job took over four years to complete.

Early Commodores up to VK, which all ran the old red/blue/black sixes and eights, are very cheap now and it is still possible to find one with a reasonably clean body. Perhaps the VK with fuel injection (a rare animal even when new) or a Turbo VL (just as rare, but probably thrashed) would do the job. Mechanical parts are still easy to come by, and the Holden engine bits are still cheap (know nothing about the Nissan motor so no comment). The interiors were cheap and nasty from new, so a total rebuild of the interior will be a certainty. Brakes lend themselves to easy upgrade to later model four wheel discs, suspensions are easily modified with excellent results for a live rear axle. The car would be suitable for daily use and, if the final result was as good as it could be, you would have a real head turner. Early Commies in top nick are getting pretty scarce now. An SLE or Calais would be the best starting point.

LOL, we really are living in the dark ages here. Small price to pay for 7 digit numberplates.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stealthy

I've missed something here. What's your point?

The laws in SA see to be completely different (and behind) all the other states. Hence the dark ages.

Our laws state you can only use an identicle motor as released from factory, so if it had a 350, you can't use an LS1 as its 346.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
make that 298, my mate smashed his last year, sims metal has it now

Yeah i know a few that are smashed. A guy i went to school with rocked up on a cruise with one, later found out he got in a high speed chase, and crashed and wrote it off.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I dont see anything newer then a VP being worthy of a "project" car. Everything after VP imo is too newish... Face it, a clean done up vt/vx or newer is not going to turn heads like a clean VL or VK... A VT/VX imo is still a grandpar car.... give it another 10 years and it might turn heads....

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
2 door torrie
my mate picked up a 2 door torrie for 1200, full of parts no rust, tripple carbs. all primed and all the paint in the boot,
thats a money maker

someone i knows mate just boughts a 2door torrie as well, for $2000
but the catch is he has all the numbers and matching engine from his old gtr 2door he wreaked, just got to weld them in and his going to sell it
easy $35,000+ restored should see $60,000

and before many people say its not fair to do, its not uncommon to be done
i know of 6 or 7 xy gt's which have had shell swaps done because of to much rust in the sealpanels and front pillars.

on a side note you just dont choose a project car on the cost alone
you choose a project car as you like that or it has meaning
if i wanted a cheap car to do or make money on i personaly wouldnt have choose my vl
the reason i choose my vl is because i like vls and this berlina was a gift from my perants, so bassically im also showing them that i aint going to run there gift into the ground i want it to last me years to come
some people ask why all this effort on a berlina and not a calais, why a calais is my thought? its all wank factor which i couldnt care about

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Toranas are well and truly in the "collectible" category now and parts are very expensive - especially the little bits and pieces which add up to a huge bill very quickly.

Anyhoo - what becomes a "cheap" project car means different things to different people. VN/VP are probably the cheapest these days for reasonable performance. VTII/VX are significantly more expensive but are in a whole different league as far as performance is concerned.

Reaper