Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the best motor oil to use?

bruiserbrad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202 base model
hey all.
im giving my car a service this weekend and changing the oil and filters but i was unsure what oil brand and grade to use. I thought someone on here would be able to give me a few hints on what and what not to do.

cheers for any help

brad

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Tip 1 - If unsure dont do it, search the forum for answers if not post up a question.
Tip 2 - Buy the proper holden VB manual & VC suppliment

Oil wise I hase Penrite HPR 30 changed every 3000-5,000km on my cars that sit around work car about every 7-8000 depending on the km im doing. Using good filters such as OEM or Ryco

Scott

bruiserbrad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202 base model
i know how to change the oil and filters as i have done it heaps of times on my old car and my brothers car but i just used the oil my dad had out the back. but i wanna take care of my vc so i was mainly asking to know what brands and grades people use and whats best for my current engine. sorry i should have been clearer in my original comment
brad

[ - 5LCOMMY - ]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commy
should go with royal purple oil you cant go wrong dude thats the best.... lil more expensive than the cheaper 1s that can still be used but if you want quality royal purple oil is the way too go :)

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Any 20W50 will be OK. It is best to stick with whatever has been used in it in the past. Some oils with a lot of detergent in them can make your engine use oil if it has a build of sludge in it from being run with a low detergent oil.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
20W50 is the manufacturers reccommended grade for the VC in both 6 and V8. Castrol GTX2 is good, Castrol edge/Royal Purple/Penrite are better.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
dont use synthetic oil like the castrol edge etc stick to a good mineral based oil 20/50 should be fine noone makes a 30/40 any more i dont think