Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the estimated safe range of Klms on the odom?

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
I just picked up the ex attorney generals WL Caprice with 145,000KM @ $15,000
I always look for cars 150k and below regardless city or country so this was pushing it, being a government car it would of been serviced well, but i've had cars from the country
with car more KM's in worse condition mechanically then the ones from the city.
It's totally hit and miss but and a general rule now i'd say.

70-130k city
up till 150-170k country.

More km's more you could bargain down anyways if buying private.
as mentioned above if the VZ was serviced properly then you'll be fine.

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
cheers thaks. thats about the figure I was going to try and stick with, But I know when it comes to it if I find something that looks really nice, and the price is good I'm gonna cave like a drug addict.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
I say the lower the better, i picked my VZ up for $19,000 (down from $23,000) a couple yrs ago with only 11,000kms on the clock. i know u wont find one them around these days but ive been nothing but happy with it since. There were plenty others around with 30,000-85,000kms at a few grand cheaper but i chose mine cause I dont mind paying a little extra for a car that has very low ks and i know is gonna last. also u can do a REVS check on the VIN number and see who the last owner is and stuff like Age, Sex of owner and also service and mechanical history and any crash/repair history. i did this with mine and found mine was owned by a 60ish yr old government guy who retired and obviously they sold his gov car when he retired so i brought it that day. a little research goes along way.

sorry i went slightly off the original question but i hope ive helped

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
Is alright, found out my cousin is selling a 04 series 2 VY SS with 75000kms on the clock for $15000. So I know the owner, and have a good mate who's a good mechanic that could go over it with a fine tooth comb for me. So if I can convince my cousin to hold onto it until I have the money I'l get it fully checked out and happily pay that for it. It's a beautiful looking car too.

smasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
hi ive got a vz with 135,000kms and faultless. next service i will do brakes for the first time, still has brakes from day one in it never touched. even has injected gas system which did at 60,000kms and its great, get about 630kms to a tank and still has great power. have been looking at possible trading it off, but only getting $10,000 for it so i guess i will just keep it. most of the kms on the car are highways country kms. country cars and heaps better then city cars,.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Biggest issue on KMS for the VZ is oil changes. Miss 3 in a row and the engine oil will be sludge. 120k and very old oil = dead motor in no time.

With 15k service intervals, one missed service is enough to sludge an engine.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If anyone 'misses' 3 oil changes in a row they should be shot.

It happens. Had an SV6 ute come in the other week with 55,000kms on it for its FIRST service. Engine was cooked. Moron said it was his workhorse and didnt have time to take it off the road for a day for servicing.

Hesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Null
Lol... Doesn't have Ike for a new càr service but has time for an engine rebuild. I hear the VZ cook oil in a lot of cases especially the v8s. I know this is a BUGE hangs to my original plan but I've decided to get what I've always wanted and keep saving untill Incan afford a clubsport. Maybe a VY or something. Retro and insurance will be a killer by hey we do what we like cos we love it right? I've wanted one since I was 12 and I think 15 years is long enough to wait..

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The VY Wagon at work has 290xxx km on it and still runs fine. Seen quite a few VZ's well north of 200,000 and going strong. As others have mentioned - being religious with oil changes and general maintenance goes a long way.

Reaper