Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's the guy with so many of you lot driving autos?! =P

miss ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S2
I learnt in a manual but since I drive a lot from job to job I just find it easier in auto cause I gotta eat my lunch sometime! And call customers etc. (on the hands free)
I have heaps of fun in my auto and drive it how an auto should be driven.... :D right foot on acc, left foot on brake and use the gears all the time.
The only thing that shits me is,,, why do they put the brake so far to the right? I feel like I'm sitting on a bit of an angle in the seat.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Does that mean I'm skilled because I can drive a manual while eating McDonalds Hotcakes with a fork at the same time? :p

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
hell yeah

my vl executive is an auto ....but not for long your right that manuals keep ur mind on the job but i also know for a fact that u get 5-10% more power when u have a 5 spd or even a 6spd manual also i feel the autos are boring unreliable and u only have 4 gears with an auto doin burnouts isnt as much fun when in an auto no skill level is required, in a manual u need to slowely let the clutch out while reving it wit the handbrake on and let go of the clutch and then put the park brake down and drop it, in an auto its ok park brake on in drive start driving and let go of the brake boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manuals rock

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
:b: Give it up, mixin. You're dead right, but you're obviously trying to educate a few young "people" who think doing burnouts (with single spinners too, I bet) is showing lots of skill, but not a lot of smarts for my mind. :rolleyes: Not all are in that category, but going by some of the posts,....... :shutup:

Back on subject, horses for courses, but it's auto for me. The days of REAL double clutching my 10 year old HR premier with three on the tree (you'll have to explain that too), then progressing to a hugh cammed, heavy clutched V8 Monaro that was pure bloody hell to drive in the traffic, at the time I thought it was great, (but man, did I have a mean left leg) and all before Commodores were even in the showrooms. I still drive manuals, but only if/when I have to. If you don't do a lot of city driving, manuals would be good, but I'm too old and lazy now to be bothered stirring the porridge any more. I wouldn't give up my power steering or air con, either. ;)

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
hehehe, you're not wrong! A lot of them wouldn't know what a front 1/4 window was either - great in a non aircon car on a hot summers day....

My first car was a HR, originally 3 on the tree but a previous owner put an M20 & floor shift in it, with a dodgy setup for the clutch cable....

And don't get me started on single spinners, LSD & "locked" diff differences....and problems....

E

Ex-Ricer

Blipping?

Ok guys, gotta give me sum ley-way here :whistling , im only a young-un, but would sum1 like to explain to me what "blipping" the throttle is, i was reading all this stuff about the double clutching and heal toeing, and yer, its all real interesting, but it would be easier if i understood what u meant when u said to blip the throttle. I am 15 and quite oftenly drive a manual (shhh, dont tell the cops ;) ) and coming my way fairly soon will be a 1992 VP Ex- Pursuit,

Cheers in advance guys, gunna help me out a fair bit here

Righty

Reaction score
I'm a lazy ****, that why i drive auto :p

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Blipping the throttle is just tapping it to rev the engine high enough so that the engine is turning at approximately the same speed as the driveshaft, assuming that the driveshaft is the connection from the gearbox back to the wheels. I'm not sure :p

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
a bit late but i'll add anyway, i drive and auto for a couple reasons

1- once modify they are faster at shifting
2- you can leave your foot on the go pedal unlike a manual(good for turbos)
3- autos are stronger then a manaul, cause manaul runs off a single drive for gear, wheres the auto has 4-5 gears surounding the the drive input whichs holds more torque

why do you think drag racers use autos

and 4- i have very large feet and i found when driving my mates ss, when i press the clutch i hit the brakes at the same time (it's very annoying :bang: )and sometimes my feet get caught on the pedals an when you need to stop its not the best feeing when feet are stuck

as with pricing some of say autos are dear to repair wat about clutchs, the cables and the gears they all add up

anyway i thought i'll add my say cheers