Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats thrashing mean to you?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Rentals should be treated no differently to your own car.

I specifically ordered a Commodore/Falcon for a drive from Sydney Intl. Terminal to Canberra, one way. I landed back from Europe at 10:15pm and just wanted something I knew would be comfy, air-conditioned, effortless and had cruise control.

When I turned up they apologised they didn't have any. WTF?! I booked 6 months in advance!!! Anyhow, I got to choose from the Cruze or the Camry. Chose the Camry based on size. Was comfy enough for what I wanted, air-conditioned and had cruise control. But I floored it every set of lights getting out of Sydney - gutless 4cyl POS. I don't treat cars with dis-respect but if it's a rental, I have no 2nd thoughts about flooring it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I specifically ordered a Commodore/Falcon for a drive from Sydney Intl. Terminal to Canberra, one way. I landed back from Europe at 10:15pm and just wanted something I knew would be comfy, air-conditioned, effortless and had cruise control.

When I turned up they apologised they didn't have any. WTF?! I booked 6 months in advance!!! Anyhow, I got to choose from the Cruze or the Camry. Chose the Camry based on size. Was comfy enough for what I wanted, air-conditioned and had cruise control. But I floored it every set of lights getting out of Sydney - gutless 4cyl POS. I don't treat cars with dis-respect but if it's a rental, I have no 2nd thoughts about flooring it.

The funny thing is the Camry probably thrived on the treatment and wasn't affected by it. I hate the bloody things but they last.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
thrashing is how you drive a rental.

Agreed... this photo may or may not be a rental car after doing hand brake turns in the mud at work.

18052007.jpg

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
A thrashed car to me is one that is consistently driven to its limits, particularly in relation to engine revs and transmission loading. High revs in each gear, dumping the clutch, burnouts, holding the auto trans in gear manually instead of letting it change itself, pulling it back into a lower gear at too high a speed, consistent hard cornering and speed shifting on manuals, beating the synchros.

Making the mechanical components work hard all the time just shortens the car's life. Even if you keep the maintenance up, abuse will break things.

1+ on agreeing

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
thrashing is how you drive a rental.

Really? I've never thrashed a rental. Mainly because there is a $2000 odd excess hanging over my head.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Thrashing is all the good stuff!

- limiter launches
- neutral bangers
- rollbacks
- clutch pops/kicks
- handbrakies
- "park" brakies
- keybangers

.... etc :p

if its on a cold engine i would call it thrashing, but mind you a car always seems to loosen up a little after a couple of reckless motions

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Nup. It's still a machine and it's someone else's property. Rentals should be treated no differently to your own car.

I found out the hard way at an early age that thrashing a car just hurts your wallet.

Lol heaps of rental car and u haul truck abuse vids on YouTube and then you woulder why they run like crap when the next people hire them out :whistling:hmmm:

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Really? I've never thrashed a rental. Mainly because there is a $2000 odd excess hanging over my head.
I worked for a rental company for a short time :)

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
more thrash!

Last edited by a moderator:

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
driving it like u stole it! not getting along at a fairly quick pace and being smooth about it, but deliberately being rough with it....

you know. kicking the pedals like theres a big huntsman on them, flat changing, reefing the wheel trying to tokyo drift it, attempting handbrakies round the hairpin bends, smacking straight into potholes, revving the rings out of it when u could have grabbed another gear etc