Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats your oil?

Gmvf350

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv redline
Anyone using Fuchs Supersyn Dexos 1? Have run Mobil 1 for about 10k & due for for 15k service. Just after thoughts on which oil.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Anyone using Fuchs Supersyn Dexos 1? Have run Mobil 1 for about 10k & due for for 15k service. Just after thoughts on which oil.

You will get many opinions. I have run Mobil 1 the last 5k after running mineral for first 3k, followed by semi-syn dealer Castrol for 5k. I believe in sticking with the same oil in the long run so it will be Mobil 1 changed each 4-5 k forever. Many will say I am burning money but that is just me. :)

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
If your car is under warranty I would be using a Dexos 1 certified oil. Pretty sure mobil 1 isnt.

It is. Not only have I seen the list of approved Dexos 1 oils but it's what HSV use.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Yeh just checked. You are correct. Although I think they have linked mobil 1 to some camshaft issues..

Not the oils fault. You get the occasional pressure relief valve pack it that results in oil pressure being a bit low (but not catastrophic) and it wears the hardening off the cam/lifters.

I've seen it on cars that get only Mobil1, I've seen it on cars that only get Valvoline and I've seen it on cars that get a random mix of oils.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The issues with the camshafts were soft lobes, due to a manufacturing defect.

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
The grade of oil is the important thing GM recommend GF-5 5w-30 ,I used Penrite enviro+ full synthetic for what its worth ,pick some up when its on special at Supercheap . If you change your own oil like i do with most of my car and motorbikes. I drain the oil then put in about 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh new oil to remove the remains of the old oil ,let that drain, then put the sump plug back in . You need about 8 litres including filter .