Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Alignments

subieboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S2
So as per a previous post we had a few things to fix...

Camber LH front wheel (tyre was hitting the strut on full compression) 3.60
Engine mounts
O2 Sensor

So Engine mounts fixed, O2 sensor fixed

Rang up a few tyre places such as Qld best tyre, Bob Jane Tyre, Bridgestone, etc etc

Story: Asked for a quote for fixing the CAMBER (aka a wheel alignment with camber adjusted at same time), quotes ranged from $59 to $66 for 4 wheel camber and wheel alignment.

As needed it done on a Saturday we asked a few places and Bob Jane T marts at (name with held thus far - pm if you need to know which branch) said they could.

I doubly confirmed it with said Bob Jane Muppet.
Me: "I need the camber on the front left wheel adjusted as it is hitting the strut, you do do that right?"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Yes"
Me: "So can I book it for Saturday for a camber adjustment"
Bob Jane Muppet: Yes
Me: "Cool I'll see you tomorrow for a CAMBER adjustment"
Bob Jane Muppet: Cool see ya

Wheel alignment day.

Left car there, went drooling at some bikes and other stuff...

Get back to Bob Jane 20min later...

Strange the car is in another parking space, oh well probably between the camber and other stuff. (Mildly uneasy about it as it usually takes about 50 to 60min)...

5 min later Bob Jane Muppet comes to find me, hey were all done, that'll be $66 bucks thanks.

Cool, get home and park car in garage,(the garage is nice and level side to side, slopes from front to back...)

Hey hang on, the left front wheel still tilted in... WTF??

Look at job report, choice the toe in is done, OK Camber, UHOH...

New camber as per report: 3.64... WTF thats worse than before they touched it

Quick call to Bob Jane...

Me: "Mate, got a quick question, I had my VS in for a wheel alignment and Camber adjustment, but the wheel is still wrong, the camber is still out"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Well duh, wheel alignments don't include camber adjustment"
Me: "Hangon I specifically booked the car to have the camber adjusted, you guys even said so when I dropped the car off"
Bob Jane Muppet: "just calm down man"
Me:"Pardon me, what did you just say? I'm not angry yet mate" "Why was what I paid for and booked for not done?"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Yea man whatever, just bring it in and we'll look at it cos you have to replace nuts when you undo them and other stuff"
Me: "So now I am up for other costs as well? Mate I got at at least 5 other quotes that included the camber for similar to what I just paid you for"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Uh uhm OK, bring it back and we can look at it for ya"

Get back to Bob Jane T Mart...

Bob Jane Muppet: "Yea man didn't know you wanted the camber looked at"
Me: "Mate a blind man can see the camber is out, hell even my wife (who is not mechanically minded) could see there was something wrong." I'm just a bit unhappy that I had to come back to get something done that I specifically asked for"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Yea we'll look at it for ya"

20 minutes go by

Bob Jane Muppet: "Hey mate, were all done..."
(Name with held) has 5 years mechanic experience and 3 years tyre fitter experience and we cant do anything with your camber"
Me: "What do you mean?" While looking at this guy like he is some kind of Idiot - sorry but by this time I could not help myself they were talking and treating me like I was some moron who has never had a wheel alignment done in his entire life...
Bob Jane Muppet: "Uhm, yea we cant get it done safely for you here cos we dont have the equipment"
Me: "Sorry but WTF did you just say?, Did I just waste my entire Saturday here with you guys after I specifically asked if you could do it and that it be done?"
Quick note here before I go on: My son is 3 weeks old and I get Sundays and Saturdays as my full days with him to give mum time off and I work full time so the time is very valuable to me
Bob Jane Muppet: "uhm yea man sorry"
Me: "So you're going to take my money and run and not do the work"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Well uh, yea I guess we could refund you some"
Me: "I know you are going to refund all of it"
Bob Jane Muppet: "Yea uhm no"
Me: "Yes you are or I go to the franchise Head Office and call the franchise owner at home today" - Spot the bluff bit about calling the bloke at home
Bob Jane Muppet: "uhm Ok yea we'll refund you your money"

Some more waffling after that, but apparently Bob Jane Numptys dont't do a Camber adjustment as part of a wheel alignment...

So I have never ever in my life had a wheel alignment done and the camber not done at the same time (Mind you I have never used Bob Jane Muppets/Kmart before either - will also be the last time), so thought I would post it here for those of you who could find it interesting or maybe want to comment...

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thats crap.. sounds like 1 of the bad joints, i've had my wheel alignment done fine by bob jane in regional vic. a wheel alignment is just that, aligning the wheels, if camber or toe is out, they adjust it to fix it.. i wouldnt be going back to that shop ever.

have u had it fixed up since? did it get aligned fine or was something off that needed replacement?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mate you should do exactly what you threatened to do - call BOB and tell him those muppets are not qualified to fix a lawn mower and you want something done about it.
I personally took my wifes car to BJ for a 4 wheel alignment. I sware nothing was done but i looked under it and saw spanner marks on the tie rods so i didn't take it back. The was in Hornsby for all those intersted. Don't go there.
From then on I get my wheel alignment done at Pedders. They set the camber at whatever I want.

subieboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S2
thats crap.. sounds like 1 of the bad joints, i've had my wheel alignment done fine by bob jane in regional vic. a wheel alignment is just that, aligning the wheels, if camber or toe is out, they adjust it to fix it.. i wouldnt be going back to that shop ever.

have u had it fixed up since? did it get aligned fine or was something off that needed replacement?

Yep was a bad joint IMHO. Was at work today relating story to colleagues who pissed themselves laughing..

Yea I was like since when is a wheel alignment not include camber, thats the whole point of it, to align the wheel in all planes that adjustment is allowed...

We went to Queensland Best Wheel and Tyres in Geebung/Virginia and had it fixed - camber was just very bad (or had not been done for some time), it aligned fine and dandy.

Also service done today, will need new suspension bushes in next 5 to 10 thou, plus two new O2 sensors (they want $300 to do that so off to our good friends Ripco/Supercr@p/et al).

Contacted Bob Janes HQ via email to give feedback

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
O2 sensors are under $60 ea on Ebay - genuine Delphi.

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
man thats stuffed. this happened to a mate of mine! but it was with hes handbrake instead of fixing it up coz it was loose they actualy tightened the handbrake lever itself which was bad, the guy tried ripping him off which he did my friend is n idiot. i woulda went nuts! i hate mechanics when i got my wheel aglinment done it felt like he ruined my powersteering it felt worse and drove wonky n wore my left hand tyre still.. mm is there a way to do the wheel aglinment at home?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Without jumping on the Bob Jane bash wagon, it sounds like something is bent to have the camber out that far. If the aligner knew what he was doing as he reportedly said he did, then by taking the readings of the wheel, he would have been able to tell if something was bent. 3 and a half degrees of negative camber is pretty severe.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
What NAAF Said^^^ As a Qualified Wheel Aligner that is bullshit! although i have worked for Blow Job t-marts before and that **** happens, basically the boss forces you to do it in order to " get the job out quicker " so he can book in more cars.

A quick side note, not all are like that, depends on the franchise.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Indeed 3.50 out is massive. If the aligner didnt pick that up just by looking at the wheel itself....... :bang: You can tell that even 1.00 is miles out and the wheel is somewhat angled. But yes it does seem a bit far out and maybe something i s bent.

subieboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S2
Indeed 3.50 out is massive. If the aligner didnt pick that up just by looking at the wheel itself....... :bang: You can tell that even 1.00 is miles out and the wheel is somewhat angled. But yes it does seem a bit far out and maybe something i s bent.
Yea the wheel was sitting in pretty bad.

His 1st thought was something was bent, checked it all, but was just very poos. I am no tyre and wheel guru so no clue.

But will get the struts, bushes, etc replaced soon anyway as we dont know how many K's they have done