Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel Size & Suspension

Griffo82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS series1
Hi all, please forgive my stupidity as I'm sure this has all been covered a thousand times but I keep getting mixed answers, I'm hoping someone has what I am after and can deliver accurate info..

I have a series 1 2001 VX SS, standard FE2 suspension (Pedders Sportsrider shocks in rear but standard height), I am looking at fitting a set on 19 inch rims, they are 245/35/19, what I want to know is will this size rim with this size tyre scrub or hit the guards or anything as such? Do I need to get the guards rolled before fitting? If anyone has a VX with this size rim and tyre fitted, would a picture be possible to see how they sit?

Secondly, I was also looking at lowering the car, what I want to know is how low I can go that is still legal? What suspension is needed to get to this height? Will the above tyres still fit? Do I need to change shocks to a shortened shock or can I just change springs? I think I really only want to go around 2 inches lower.

Cheers for any info and help...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Your question about rubbing will depend on the width and offset of the wheels.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Like above said it depends on the off set.. How low are you wanting to go?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Griffo, check my ss. Tyres same as u want no rolling guards and no scrubing on superlow springs and short shocks r a must...But as said wheel offset critical.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Last edited:

Griffo82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS series1
Thanks guys, Kangavxss ur ride height looks about what I would like.. what are u running exactly??

As for off set, should this be stamped on the rims somewhere or how do I find this?? probably another stupid question, sorry!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Some wheel companies put it on, some don't, most put it on the sticker on the inner barrel when new. You need to get the width too for the offset to mean anything. You can measure the width easily enough by getting a measuring tape and measuring from bead to bead on the rim (NOT lip to lip).

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Thanks guys, Kangavxss ur ride height looks about what I would like.. what are u running exactly??

As for off set, should this be stamped on the rims somewhere or how do I find this?? probably another stupid question, sorry!

King springs KHFL48HD+ (front ) and KHRL45HD+(rears) with Monroe GT short shocks. Not totally
sure of the offset but around +48 i think with rims being 19x8..