Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel torque settings

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Using anti seize on studs can affect the torque required by a torque wrench - often by substantial amounts - ie, increasing the possibility of over tightening. While the nut locks on the taper, the thread will still provide torsional resistance under stress, which will have an impact on the final torque required.

Some people swear by it, others swear against it - just be cautious if you use it. The recommended torque values are normally dry ratings. I've heard of some manufacturers recommending anti seize - but this will be specified, usually with the brand used to calculate the torque value and, obviously in this instance, it will be a wet value.

piston_broke

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute , Range Rover Vogue
A lot of talk about torque here, personally, i just tighten them up with a wheel brace or basic socket to where i'm happy, and then, "check them a few days later", i do all my rotating, and i've never had a problem, and if the thread doesn't feel right, i'm quite happy to spray on a bit of Lanolin.
But i have had a problem with wheel nuts after certain tyre mobs have done them up where i've bent the handle of the vehicle's wheel spanner trying to loosen them.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you need a Torque Wrench to tell you your wheel nuts are tight enough stop touching your car.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
So if you've never used a torque wrench on your wheels, how do you know what 75Nm feels like (as required on some cars) compared to 170Nm as required on a VE?

Better to follow the manufacturers recommendation than to guess because you know better.

Sure, now that I have tensioned mine to 170Nm I have a pretty good idea what that feels like, but how do you?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'll be honest - there's a lot of times I haven't torqued the nuts up properly on my cars - although they are currently correct and have been for a long time - but if someone is commissioning me to work on a maserati or aston and that work requires me to remove the wheels, I'm going to make damn sure that they go back on perfectly - which is exactly how I treat all my client's cars.

99% of the time it's not too important. But I'm not going to be the 1% that gets bitten. It doesn't take much extra time, so I don't see the issue with doing it properly.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I used to be service crew for different rally teams for many years, from club rounds through to servicing in the WRC (A Datto 1600 thru to at Mitsu Evo). One car had a wheel fall off 1km into the start of a rally. No it wasn't me, but when yours and others lives depend on it - it's worth it