Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels For Dummies

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Thanks guys.

No big brakes, and no plans to in the near future. Yeah brasher, I'd be going 275's.

Is center bore also an issue to worry about? Stock VE Calais is 66.9 right? Does that mean the aftermarket wheels have to be the same?

Most 5x120 wheels are BMW hubcentric, so will be approx 72.6mm, you will need hubrings that go from 72.6 to 66.9. These are easy to source, most wheel and tyre joints can provide these. I'd always go a metal hubring over a plastic one too.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Just used this calculator:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

And compared HSV spec 275/30 20x9.5 at +57, with 275/30 20x10 +57 and they're the same. Is that correct? Does that mean if I find a 20x10 in a +55 - +57 offset, it will have the exact same clearance (or close to it in +55) all round as a stock 20" HSV rim?

10" wheels are 12mm wider then 9.5" wide so use the same tyres but the rims them will be plus 6mm on both sides and will clear everything very easily. The 53P 20x10s will fit without an issues.

The hub rings are very common and work great so don't worry too much about them

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Looks like I'll settle on the Bavaria BC5. Found out they offer +50 as the highest offset for the 20x10's, which sounds like it will be a better fit than the other choices which only came in +40. With a bit of luck, might get away with not having to roll the guards at +50 too. What you guys think?

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
ducker85, can ask you mate, are you confident cause you work in the business? Or you basing your advice on your general knowledge, or personal experience on the subject? I just ask cause I'm really hoping someone in the business can offer some professional advice, which would make me more confident in moving forward. Cheers.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
That's a good question so here's my knowledge.

When my Clubbie was standard (20x9.5 56P) wheels I could fit my finger easily between the back of the wheel and the body (15-20mm gap) the wheel you want will reduce that gap by 1mm and poke out 13mm which is still know where near the rear guard even if your on SSSL springs.

95-10s_zps31e8e8c8.jpg

So that's my Factory HSV pentagons compared to the wheels you want.

Now here's my current wheels compared to what you want. My wheels stick out another 11mm over what you want and sit inside my rolled gaurds (they only had a little roll no crazy pumping) so they sit out 24mm extra compared to my factory wheels. My suspension currently is horrible and bounces a lot with SSSL spring a terrible shocks (the shocks are destroying the ride) and I have zero issues.

mines-10s_zps00b223d8.jpg

So I'm 100% sure the 20x10s 50P with 275/30R20 (HSV tyre sizes) will fit with no further mods

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Also here's my clearence before the guard roll (SSSL spring and factory Penatgons) as you can see there's heaps of room still. That lip is about 15mm and there's atleast 20mm+ gap that you only wish to use 13mm of

4D0EBC22-585B-471B-B98F-886EC99A5DC2-173-00000010958B65E1_zps9f0320e5.jpg

keep in mind the dodgy photo angle. There's heaps of room

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Great info ducker85, exactly what I was looking for, and a big help mate. Appreciate the effort you went to with the graphics and pics. Cheers for all the advice.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
This may be another stupid question (but I'm good at them :)), but one I just thought of:

If I got a custom made higher offset at the rear (+50 or +53) will that mean the actual front face of the rear wheel/tyre will sit in farther than the face of the front wheel? Obviously the rear will concave more, but I'm referring to the actual symmetry of the rears compared to the fronts. Hope that makes sense?