Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels For Dummies

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi all,

I'm going to finally get some new wheels this weekend, and being my first VE and V8, I need some advice from any wheel and tyre guru's out there. I have researched and read many threads on the matter, but to be honest, I'm only more confused. I'm a dummy basically.

I'm not really down with the lingo, so all the reading I have done on offsets etc has embarrassingly left my head spinning a bit. I want 20" rims and that's pretty much where my expertise on the matter ends. The advice I'm looking for is what size front and rear is best (eg. 20x8.5, 20x9, 20x10?), and what are the real pros and cons of going one over the other? For example, does a larger 20x9 or 20x10 on the rear provide better handling and stability? Also, I intend to get my car lowered so the guard sits just above the tyre, (and was advised on getting the wheels first), so will any of the options mentioned not fit my car once lowered?

And regards to tyre sizes what would be best in terms of comfort and handling when matched with the rim size you are recommending?

I hope that all makes sense (I warned you I was a dummy), and given I want to get my car lowered on new rims within the next 2 week period, starting this weekend, I hope you can all take a second to share your knowledge and help me.

In case it matters, I have a completely stock 2006 VE Calais.

Cheers.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Wider equals more grip/traction

My recommendation is this; buy the same as the HSVs run. The sizes are (front) 20x8.5 rims with 36P offset and 245/35R20 tyres. Now the rear size is 20x9.5 rim with 56P offset and 275/30R20 tyres. Now these obviously are made to fit all VEs without any mods and is perfect for what your asking.

Now pick a style and see your local wheel n tyre shop

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
above is what i have on my VE the only thing i was told is that you cant use your spare on rear if flat due to spare being 18x8.5 as it will make it 8.5 on one side and 9.5 on the other and can risk blowing the diff. not to sure how true this is someone here will correct me no doubt if wrong but 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 fills the guards so much better than standard width

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll definitely take your advice and go for the staggered setup.

numeric, in the event of a flat, would you recommend getting run flat tyres, so you can at least still drive it to a shop for repairs or replacement?

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
i would always go full size spare, if i'm not mistaken the full size spare option on HSV's running staggered is the same size as the front so it can be fit on any corner.
had a 200K merc broken down in my work carpark because it didn't have a spare and the can of goo didn't work!. 1 flat tyre meant it had to be towed!.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
so does that mean you can run a 8.5 and 9.5 on the rear without damage to the diff

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
numeric, in the event of a flat, would you recommend getting run flat tyres, so you can at least still drive it to a shop for repairs or replacement?[/QUOTE]

i haven't come across that bridge yet the only thing i was thinking at the time was to put the spare on and the other rear swap with front but if you only get the 8.5 with hsv then maybe i was miss informed

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
These are the wheels I was keen on:

SportGT-5Wheel_matteblack_zps513fd554.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've found them online in the following:

20x8.5, 5x120 pattern, +35 offset, and

20x10, 5x120 pattern, in +20, +35 and +50 offset options

Would these be suitable for the Calais, and if so, what 20x10 offset? Couldn't find 9.5's as suggested.

Is it possible to just go 20x8.5's all round?

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
8.5 would be easier and cheaper but wont fill the guards as nice