Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels

eddysline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ute
Hi guys, I have a VF work ute with 18 inch wheels and because of the weight in the back ( tools and parts ) I go through tyres like its going out of style have tried Coopers because of the supposed longer mileage but average about 18k out of them, can I buy a set of earlier model 16 inch chrome wheels and get a set of light truck tyres on them I saw some vx 16 x 7 chrome ones with 85% rubber for $600 and after they wear out fit them with 215/70/16 light truck tires

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You can only fit VE wheels, you won’t be able to go earlier; VX won’t work on the VF.
You should be able to find Omega or Evoke wheels from a VE or VF, they’re 16x7.

PS. the only Coopers tyres that last a long time are the ones which probably shouldn’t be legal because they’re so hard the vehicle can‘t brake or turn safely. Our housemate did 80k kms on a set of Coopers tyres on her X-Trail & IMHO that vehicle was scary in the wet at walking speeds!

eddysline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ute
You can only fit VE wheels, you won’t be able to go earlier; VX won’t work on the VF.
You should be able to find Omega or Evoke wheels from a VE or VF, they’re 16x7.

PS. the only Coopers tyres that last a long time are the ones which probably shouldn’t be legal because they’re so hard the vehicle can‘t brake or turn safely. Our housemate did 80k kms on a set of Coopers tyres on her X-Trail & IMHO that vehicle was scary in the wet at walking speeds!
Thanks for that, so if I find a set of VE’s I can fit the 215/70/16 light truck tyres on, I went thru 8 of the Coopers seem to pick up every screw on work sites, and they would regularly go up in price

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Oooh, screws on worksites won’t be fixed with any brand or type of tyre unfortunately. :(

215-70x16 may be a little wonky though, OEM for Evoke & Omega was 225-60x16. I guess the biggest thing is that your speedo’s likely going to read a little low, you’ll have to be extra vigilant about being speed-camera’d going faster than your speedo says. Also check the speed rating on those light truck tyres, you can get away with a bit of variation from standard but dunno how much. I assume grip/safety isn’t a huge thing for you, also.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks for that, so if I find a set of VE’s I can fit the 215/70/16 light truck tyres on, I went thru 8 of the Coopers seem to pick up every screw on work sites, and they would regularly go up in price

215/70X16 are too small to be legal on the ute....

Minimum is 225/60X16....

The puncture situation doesn't discriminate between brands...Mycar do offer a free puncture repair for the life of tyres bought through them if that helps in that area

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have a VF work ute with 18 inch wheels and because of the weight in the back ( tools and parts ) I go through tyres like its going out of style
Wearing them out evenly or camber induced wear, chewing out the insides prematurely?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi guys, I have a VF work ute with 18 inch wheels and because of the weight in the back ( tools and parts ) I go through tyres like its going out of style have tried Coopers because of the supposed longer mileage but average about 18k out of them, can I buy a set of earlier model 16 inch chrome wheels and get a set of light truck tyres on them I saw some vx 16 x 7 chrome ones with 85% rubber for $600 and after they wear out fit them with 215/70/16 light truck tires
Are you sure you're not overloaded?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why is that, offset?