Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheels

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Note for original poster: either Losh is being facetious or there is another tyre other than the Bridgestone with the RE003 designation. :)
No, no, BJs fitted them to mine saying they are getting better mileage than my previous Conts. So far seem good.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have a set of RE003's on the Magnum, they've outlasted the OEM 050's and a couple of pairs of Falkens.
Would definitely buy them again when the current ones finally give up.
The original poster’s after something with really high longevity, like Coopers tyres made out of slate or light truck tyres … the RE003’s with their 220 treadwear-rating aren’t going to suit what he wants. They’re a relatively inexpensive option for a performance tyre, but given the reason for replacing the 18’s with 17’s they won’t suit.

As an aside, RE004’s have started rolling out, will be interested to see how they rate … was prolly looking at Pilot Sport 5’s for the Commodore next time mostly ‘cos the RE003’s have fallen behind a little (while getting cheaper admittedly) and in hindsight the 4S’s are overkill … but I’ll see how the reviews go with the RE004 over time, should be enough data before we need tyres!

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Part of the reason Coopers offer a big mileage warranty is because the tread depth is between 8MM and 10MM, where normal tyres are around the 6MM mark.

If the OP is running Coopers, did they come with their famous 60,000K mileage warranty for passenger tyres? (Might even be 80,000K)..Most of them do

Did you follow the schedule specified to keep the warranty...ie alignment when fitted and 10,000K after?

If you did, did you request a new set, with the costs reduced for the new set, that would be offset with the mileage you got from the last set? They guarantee, that if you fail to get the mileage specified and have followed their procedure, they work out the percentage cost based on what you used and take it off the price of a new set.

Ideal tyres for the application the ute is used is a light truck tyre, however to my knowledge there is no light truck tyre in a 225/60X16,which is the minimum diametre tyre that can be used on the ute..As for anything bigger,ie 17" + the same...Nothing in a light truck that can be fitted to the ute

eddysline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ute
215/70X16 are too small to be legal on the ute....

Minimum is 225/60X16....

The puncture situation doesn't discriminate between brands...Mycar do offer a free puncture repair for the life of tyres bought through them if that helps in that area
Hi can I install 205/65R16C on my ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What about Duravis R660 285/65R16C,

285/65R16C

Likely to rub on the guards because it is too wide

Will also cause your speedo to read incorrect...Is way too big width and height wise

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thank you, seems like i’m screwed was going to buy a set of ve 16 inch wheels with 225/60R16 and try those tyres because of the longer wear

225/60X16 will last a bit longer than your current 18 inch tyres

Unfortunately it seems like the VE/VF utes aren't designed for the tradie in mind

eddysline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ute
225/60X16 will last a bit longer than your current 18 inch tyres

Unfortunately it seems like the VE/VF utes aren't designed for the tradie in mind
Thank you for advice, have you any comments on Continental Vanco Eco Light Truck Tyres 225/60R16 111T, just found them