Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When does a car become a classic?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I suppose it comes down to why.

For registration purposes, there are Classic, Post Vintage and Vintage. It is time based. Nothing to do with the type of car.

If it is opinion, then everyone will have a different one as to what defines a "classic".

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I think classic and collectable are very similar.
Most classics are collectable and vice-versa

so it just depends on how rare, significant, unique and age of course plays a big part.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
For me, its a combination of the age and rarity of the car. Some cars can be newer than others, yet have more of a classic status. For example, VK Calais = classic. Datsun Sunny = not. However I still wouldn't consider anything 1986 onwards to be "classic". Yet, anyway.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Age doesnt make a classic, alot of of the early 80's plastic fantastic cars are now eligible for classic rego, the woman at the NRMA didnt understand why i laughed when she asked if i wanted classic insurance for my 81 laser when i registered it haha.

Calais666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS / VP CALAIS
Ok let me say that i have the vp calais series 2 n the VL 88 Series 2 also ... they are not classics now but one day they will be !!!!

I had a 64 impala
63 impala
64 bel air ( all with chrome bumper bars lol ) once , and im sure that by 1975 these cars were certainly not classics also the shape was also considerd rubbish compared to the 47 chevy fleetlines and so forth ...

but give it time and these cars will come much harder to get in 98% original condition . :rockon:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Some cars are classic from the day they roll off the line and others are like wine and become classics through age. They don't always need to be rare or made in limited numbers either, but it sure helps.

Classic car isn't really something that can be defined in many ways due to it meaning different things to different people.

Oh and imo, the last Aussie classic and possibly the last one for some time - The VT-VZ Monaro. ;) As their numbers dwindle they'll get very collectible, atm they are pretty plentiful and values are on the downward slide but there will be a time when they will be worth a fortune, esp GTO's and other unmolested limited editions.