Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] When should i install my ecu?

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Forester GT, ET Turbo Pulsar, VS 5.0L Ute
Hey guys, i recently bought a performance tuned ecu for my vs 5.0l put it in and it went awesome. Then unfortunantly i did a rear main and figured it wasnt worth opening up a motor that had done so many km's so i bought a HM GEM replacement.

Ive just got my 800km service and am still feathering the car round with the stock ecu back in it. Im not too sure when i am able to start running it back on factory gas and when i can put my ecu back in it. Any help would be awesome.

I asked the same question in the VR-VS part of the forum and the first reply i got back was "If you bought a HM GEM engine for performace you just wasted your money" :bang: too me this info is no help and if its something similar to what your about to say to me please dont bother. Sorry if i come across rude but i have to talk to donkeys at work i try to avoid them when i get home, Cheers in advance Jordz

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
by 'factory tuned ECU' do you mean you bought an aftermarket chip/memcal ? If you bought the entire ECM, there was no need to as the only difference is the memcal.

So what was this ECU setup for ? Was it designed to be used on a stock engine, or a modified engine and/or setup for LPG ?

What I'm getting at here Jordz, is that a performance memcal/ECM is usually setup for a specific engine combination, unless it's just one of those chips which are intended to enhance the performance of a stock or near stock engine. In which case, you could fit this memcal or ECU anytime you like. It's not going to damage a new engine anymore than it would your old engine.

So is the HM GEM engine a standard replacement ? Does it run a standard camshaft or an aftermarket performance grind ? If the engine is close to stock, then a factory or a memcal designed to be used on a stock engine is fine. However if this engine has a different cam profile to a standard engine, you need to get your car tuned on a dyno and the tuner will recalibrate the memcal to suit your engine combo.

If you don't have the right memcal for a modified engine, you risk damaging the engine.

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate thanks for the useful reply! Yeah it is an aftermarket memcal i just refered to it as the ECU becuase i actually did purchase the whole ecu heh! The chip was programmed for a standard 5.0l and to work with a gas setup. The HM GEM is a standard motor everything bog stock nothing performance enhancing wise in the motor at all. Hope that more info makes it more clear, sorry bout that i should have said that in the original post

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well I guess there's a 50% chance I made the memcal and I'll vote to stick it in anytime you want

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0

Dinwoodie

Reaction score
Members Ride

haha i know it's a shame to run a V8 on gas but i cant afford $90 every 250-300km heh. Thanks for the help fellas i've switched the ECUs over and everything is working fine Jordz :beer chug: