Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where does the temp gauge sit?

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
My VN it doesn't even hit the first mark, I haven't put an old capillary gauge on it to check against but I put a brand new thermostat in it and topped up the coolant so it should be sweet. I boiled the thermostat and it only opened when it meant to before I installed which I checked with a temp meter so either it normally sits there, the gauge is sticking or the sender is faulty. Possibly water getting round the thermostat enough at low revs but I sealed it up good so that seems less likely.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The VN can run a little cold on the gauge. My wagon did so for 15 years before it was converted to level 3 cluster. Problem has gone away now :)

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I want a level 3 dash but the kms being out bothers me and I dunno if they are easily serviced to change that. Also the cruise control block is harder to find than the dash itself for some reason.

I've have to pull out and old capillary gauge to double check.

VNVacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Vacationer
I want a level 3 dash but the kms being out bothers me and I dunno if they are easily serviced to change that. Also the cruise control block is harder to find than the dash itself for some reason.

I've have to pull out and old capillary gauge to double check.

If you want to check the sender and are handy with an ohmeter then for the guage to read cold the sender should present a resistance of 283 Ohms to the guage.

If once the car is up to operating temp (confirmed by your old capillary guage) but the cars guage still shows cold and the resistance of the sender is lower than 283 Ohms then the problem must be somewhere in connections/cable or guage.

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
If you want to check the sender and are handy with an ohmeter then for the guage to read cold the sender should present a resistance of 283 Ohms to the guage.

If once the car is up to operating temp (confirmed by your old capillary guage) but the cars guage still shows cold and the resistance of the sender is lower than 283 Ohms then the problem must be somewhere in connections/cable or guage.

I'll check that out later, I have the backseat out at the moment to keep doing my interior, stupid hard work but after seeing the first seat <3, can't wait.