Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where's the swaybar on VY/Z Crewman Diff?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks Matt.
The mounting points are there but have never been used by the look.
The mounts on the diff have no wear what so ever. Just road dirt. (Unlike Matt's pristine set up)

Being tampered with by the first owner in its first two years of it's life would be unlikely.

I can only think it is fitted with the diff cover from an IRS at factory.
This was produced at the very end of Crewman production. Maybe they ran out of parts and instead of making more, just used existing ones from other models? Then the sway-bar doesn't fit. It's interesting that it could be allowed to roll out of the factory without what I would think is a serious component of the suspension.

Also of note is the two leaf spring spacers on mine. Matts doesn't have them.
My crewman sits a bit higher than some Crewman's I've seen.
These spacers are effectively a factory lowering block. So does that mean lowering blocks are OK as well?
Hope so. Would love to drop an inch off it front and back.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does @Not_An_Abba_Fan still lurk around here?
He might be able to add to this mystery.

Commodorenut (From the now defunct forum that remains unspoken of) is bound to have known something as well :(

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Also of note is the two leaf spring spacers on mine.

I reckon they are Pedders springs and not the factory originals
Pedders leaf springs for the Crewman and 1 Tonner have those 2 extra small pieces of leaf in the pack and they are 10mm thick each
The idea is that you can move those small leaf pieces to the top or the bottom of the spring pack to adjust the ride height

Here is the PDF on the Pedders leaf springs

Attachments

• Pedders Leaf Springs.pdf
    494.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
This certainly is an interesting conundrum. Be interesting to see what the final answer will be.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I can only think it is fitted with the diff cover from an IRS at factory.
This was produced at the very end of Crewman production. Maybe they ran out of parts and instead of making more, just used existing ones from other models?

I doubt that it would have happened because the diffs were supplied as a complete assembly to Holden
I know the diffs were manufactured by Dana and if my memory is correct, Borg Warner sourced the diffs from Dana and then supplied them to Holden

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
sorry to bump this up, but i found this thread while searching for an issue regarding my VY 1 tonner rear swaybar bushes.

anyway i started reading and found it a bit interesting. So i looked it up on my workshop manual, which gave the reason for a change in late VZ production, thought it would help the clear things up possibly in the future, see attached PDF for full section from workshop manual

(in short)
-All VY/VZ 1 Tonne Vehicles have swaybars
-VY Crewmans all have swaybars
-MY2005 VZ Crewmans are listed are swaybars "where fitted"
-MY2006 Crewmans have had the swaybar Deleted

from the workshop manual (less diagrams)
The rear suspension fitted to MY 2006 VZ Update Models with a live axle, incorporates two multiple leaf spring
assemblies in conjunction with shock absorbers as standard equipment. The rear suspension system provides support
and control of the movement of the rear axle assembly during vehicle motion and when stationary.
Compared to earlier models, there have been some revisions made to the rear suspension fitted to Crew Cab vehicles to
improve noise and vibration characteristics.

These changes are:

• Deletion of the rear stabiliser bar on all Crew Cab variants.
  • V6 Crew Cab vehicles have had the mass dampers moved from the leaf springs to the final drive rear cover. This has involved the fitment of a modified IRS design, final drive cover to provide the mounting point for the dampers,in conjunction with a ‘C’ bracket.
  • Modifications have also been made to the front suspension (refer to Section 3A Front Suspension).
The final drive ratio on V6 Crew Cab with manual transmission has reverted to a ratio of 3.08:1 (refer to Section 4B2
Rear Final Drive and Live Axle). This commonises the ratio between the automatic and manual transmission variants of
V6 Crew Cab vehicles.

Apart from the changes enumerated above, the remainder of the rear suspension carries over from earlier models.
Therefore for service operations not detailed here, refer to MY2005 VZ, Section 4A2 Leaf Spring Rear Suspension or
with Independent Rear Suspension models, refer to Section 4A1 Rear Suspension.

Attachments

• VZ Crewman My2006 Update.pdf
    382.8 KB · Views: 208

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
No way! I also found a bunch of stuff on this a few days ago, with pictures, but couldn’t find this thread to post it. It was quite interesting. Thanks for posting this because it is more info than I found in the manual.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Well there you go...........Mystery Solved
Thanks exec24 for sharing that info

SlipperyZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman cross8
Hi guys new member but decided to post if anyone's still watching. We have a vz crewman cross8 with an SS body swap/conversion. When changing over the suspension I noticed the same....the AWD version has no swaybar and never did. The SS 2wd version has a swaybar links etc. Suspension setup is almost identical other than the 2wd has a spacer between the leaf and a brake balancer spring. The awd has 2 flexi lines directly to the brakes. Swaybar was a straight swap over to same bolts and brackets.